AH the Federal Government

A confusing lot aren't those blokes?*

While digging around for Props and such, I found a badge collector's agency that explains that,

United States Code Section 709 - FALSE ADVERTISING OR MISUSE OF NAMES TO INDICATE FEDERAL AGENCY
United States Code, TITLE 18 - 18 U.S.C. § 709 : US Code - Section 709: False advertising or misuse of names to indicate Federal agency
Whoever, except with the written permission of the Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, knowingly uses the words "Federal Bureau of Investigation" or the initials "F.B.I.", or any colorable imitation of such words or initials, in connection with any advertisement, circular, book, pamphlet or other publication, play, motion picture, broadcast, telecast, or other production, in a manner reasonably calculated to convey the impression that such advertisement, circular, book, pamphlet or other publication, play, motion picture, broadcast, telecast, or other production, is approved, endorsed, or authorized by the Federal Bureau of Investigation shall be punished as follows: a corporation, partnership, business trust, association, or other business entity, by a fine under this title; an officer or member thereof participating or knowingly acquiescing in such violation or any individual violating this section, by a fine under this title or imprisonment for not
more than one year, or both.

And it goes on to explain the same for any Federal agency you can think of (CIA, Secret Service, DEA, Mint Dept., etc...)

I also found one site (that I've since lost...) that quoted a law stating that possesing even a counterfeit Federal agency's badge is illegal, even for film/theater productions or display in one's home.

EDIT: I found it: http://www.copcollector.com/badgelaws.htm
IT IS ILLEGAL TO POSSESS A FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT BADGE IN THE USA REGARDLESS OF WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU DO FOR A LIVING. THE ONLY LEGAL POSSESSION OF A FEDERAL BADGE IS BY THE MEMBER OF THE SPECIFIC SERVICE TO WHOM THE BADGE WAS ISSUED. THERE ARE NO EXEMPTIONS UNDER THE LAW FOR FEDERAL BADGES.
(Their words, and the quoted la wnext applies only to State and Local, I'm guessing the point of this post is Some one prove or Disprove the above statement regarding federal badges)

SO. My question is, how have past movies (The Fugitive, etc.) or TV Shows (Covert Affairs, White Collar, etc.) used real federal agencies (CIA, Marshals, FBI) and look-a-like badges with the illegal nature of owning said badges?**

Let's say I'm writting a film script that follows a couple U.S. Marshals searching for an escaped prisoner. Assuming this, I take the law to mean I must procure written permission from the U.S. Marshal's office to use their agency name/likeliness in said production...which is understandable, but I'm thinking from wording of the second law I encountered that while that'll work for the name, they can't hold up a badge that says U.S. Marshal on it, nor can I even have a piece of paper that looks like a badge that says that on it? And hell, how likely is it to gain a nod of approval from the USMS, or FBI or anything for a small indie production anyway?

EDIT AGAIN: And this just makes my head spin: http://www.mipolicesupply.com/badge_laws.htm

And, while we're at it with the legal questions, what if a town I'm looking to do a bit of filming in doesn't have a Film office? Who would I speak to instead?

*Forgive the slight Brit-speak, let's be clear I live in Pennsylvania and am discussing the US Gov't's FUN laws and Legal-speak....

**Yes, I know Covert Affairs is technically filmed mostly in Canada, so, possibly their work around, but still, illustrating my point.

Last edited:
SO. My question is, how have past movies (The Fugitive, etc.) or TV Shows (Covert Affairs, White Collar, etc.) used real federal agencies (CIA, Marshals, FBI) and look-a-like badges with the illegal nature of owning said badges?
They get permission from the agencies.

And hell, how likely is it to gain a nod of approval from the USMS, or FBI or anything for a small indie production anyway?
It's quite likely. A props guy I work with gets permission for a year. He renews it every year.

And, while we're at it with the legal questions, what if a town I'm looking to do a bit of filming in doesn't have a Film office? Who would I speak to instead?
Check the City Hall or the police department.

So, more and more I'm seeing if I actually intend to roll with anything, Production Insurance is essential... However I don't knwo doop about it, so I'm off to research some more.

When contacting Federal Agencies for permission, should I type out and send in a paper letter? Or will an email suffice? And also, am I contacting the local jurisdictional office, or the head office?

Back