Who chooses the crew?

Newbie newbie question:

I'm writing a script for a short film I want to direct. As director, I'm fine with hiring a DP and editor and even casting and stuff, but who decides on what type of people are necessary for the project? How do I know if I need an assistant camera or two, or a script supervisor, and such?
(the last film I made I felt I was filling in too many hats...)

THanks

How do I know if I need an assistant camera or two, or a script supervisor, and such?
Experience.

For a short you may need only a few people. But you may need more.
Experience will tell you who you need.

It's always good to have a Scripty – but not always needed.
Your DP will know if they need an AC.
It's great to have two or three (or more) grips/electricts
if you have equipment to move around.
I always love having a first AD to keep things moving – even on a
short. Only you know if one will help.
It can really save time to have one person devoted to craft service
and running for meals.
The most important team on your shoot may be the audio team –
boomOp and mixer. Good ones can save you major headaches and
time in editing.

What hats did you fill that you would like someone else to fill?

It's important to have a producer who knows what he/she is doing. The producer will/can bring the necessary people onto your project if you only want to direct.

Your DP will know if they need an AC.

...Focus Puller, Camera Operator, Dolly Grip, etc...

It's great to have two or three (or more) grips/electrics

Actually decided on by your Gaffer/Key Grip, which would be a blended role for a micro budget short. Most micro budget shorts would have a Gaffer/Key Grip who does all of this work, and maybe a couple PAs / Grip Interns who want to learn the ropes by working for free.

I always love having a first AD to keep things moving – even on a
short. Only you know if one will help.

Unless you have a "Second AD," you don't have a "First AD." Just, "AD."

Last edited:
I'm new in film too, but I've had several experiences with theater on the production side. As a producer / financier, I choose the project, the director and most of the crew. I have 2 favorite directors that I've worked with for theater and I've approached them when I decided to dip my fingers in film. One is willing and one is not ... I wonder why?

Anyway, in theater, the director usually chooses the actors and some other crew. I get asked about what I think of some actors and if I feel strongly, I say so, but at the end of the day, it is the directors decision unless if I can't afford the actor.

Will this "process" work for film too? Let me know, please.

Will this "process" work for film too? Let me know, please.
Yes. The director of the movie has a lot of say in casting. On very
low budget projects the director has all the say. At the studio level
name talent is often attached before the director. Casting and who
makes the final choice depends on many factors.

This is one of my favorite images on who hires who (of course this is for those with bigger budgets, but even for smaller budgets can just use a limited version of this.)

FrEwTg6Z.1430372880.jpg

I realize it's hard to read, click below link to see a bigger version

http://picpaste.com/pics/FrEwTg6Z.1430311372.jpg

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite images on who hires who (of course this is for those with bigger budgets, but even for smaller budgets can just use a limited version of this.)

FrEwTg6Z.1430311372.jpg

I realize it's hard to read, click below link to see a bigger version

http://picpaste.com/pics/FrEwTg6Z.1430311372.jpg

oh wow! That is a very detailed one. I forgot to mention that pretty much, as a producer, I just get sponsors and market the event. Then, at the end of the project, I pay the cast and crew based on what we agreed on the contract. Lucky for me, in theater, the contracts are all the same especially for the crew. For theater, I also have a lot of work to do after the project such as making sure all costumes and purchased equipment are stored properly for use in hopefully another project. For the borrowed equipment, those are picked up by the vendors.

I have two projects that I am hoping to get right now. One is for a small retail store and another one is for quest, you know, the IT company? I am hoping to get the latter because the store is more involved - about the customer service outsourcing industry and the lives of those who do it for a living. I am very excited, but would love to get as much tips as possible. Thanks!

Chenjie108, I'd highly recommend keeping to a small and tight crew while you're starting out. Makes it easier to manage the controlled chaos!

Then as you learn more you can grow and expand out your crew to cover more roles.

Back