Stop Motion Question

I wanna do a short stop motion film ( 6 min tops)

My question is, how many frames should I do until I change the picture? change meaning for example moving an arm in a different direction

Not sure if it matters but my camera is
Canon vixa hf G20

thanks

I'm no expert in stop motion but imagine it like this - when you record a normal video and the person moves down their hand in one second. You have 24 pictures to take to emulate it that smoothly in stop motion. Hope it helps.

PS: it also depends on aesthetic choices of how you want it to look - smooth or crocked, etc.

Last edited:
You probably want to go with 24fps, but you might be happy with the look you get from 12fps.

If you're doing movement, you should only shoot 1 frame before you move your model. A simple hand wave would go something like this:

- Shoot one frame on the far left
- Move the hand slightly to the right
- Shoot a frame
- Move the hand further to the right
- Shoot a frame
- Repeat until the hand if far right
- Reverse the process, shooting a frame, then moving the hand a little to the left...

When I first tried stop-motion, one thing I found useful was to film myself performing the action I wanted to replicate. I then watched this back, frame by frame, and tried to copy what I saw in each frame.

There's tons of tutorials on Google. You should start looking there...

I wanna do a short stop motion film ( 6 min tops)

My question is, how many frames should I do until I change the picture? change meaning for example moving an arm in a different direction
For some movements two frames (12fps) works better than one frame.

When I got started the fun (for me) was experimenting. So you might
what to consider that option. Try shooting two frames of each pose.
then try one frame fro each pose. See what you like best and what works
best.

But in general (if you don't want to try different options) it's one frame
per pose.

Generally, one changes something in every single shot. However, there is so much to this art that you really want to go through sites devoted in detail to stop motion.

Oh and if you are doing the arm movement, specifically, follow the ease-in ease-out (just google it) method. Otherwise the movement will look unnatural.

Thanks so I would film the picture either 24 times or 12 times for let's say 5 seconds before adding something to it or making it looked like it moved a very little bit?

Keith Lango has some excellent tutorials (cg but the principles of animation are the same regardless of medium).

Robot Chicken animate on 2's (2 frames the same) and are at 30 fps I believe.

Disney (Hand drawn) is on 1's (Every frame is unique) so thats why it is more fluid.

Look for The animators survival guide by Richard Williams. That is the bible.

Shoot yourself (with camera! :P ) and watch it frame by frame. It will show you how a movement is build up. Do this with arm movements, with walking, etc. You will larn a lot from it.
At my artschool the animation department had 'movement analysis' class for 3 years, because the illusion of movement requires understanding of movement.

The older versions of Adobe Premiere used to have a horse as logo.
Why?
Because only after the invention of film it was possible to truly analyse and understand how a horse runs.

Thanks so I would film the picture either 24 times or 12 times for let's say 5 seconds before adding something to it or making it looked like it moved a very little bit?
Five seconds is 120 frames. Each movement is one frame. So you would
not film the picture or object for five seconds before adding something to
it or moving it.

In stop-motion you would take one frame (one picture) then move the
object. Then take one frame (one picture) and move the object. After
you have taken 120 frames you would have five seconds of animation.

In animation your would draw a picture, take one frame then draw another
picture and take one frame of that picture. And so on.

Both are technically called "animation". Stop-motion animation is typically
considered filming an object and moving it frame by frame.

Back