Thinking about Re-Branding my Youtube Channel

So, as stated by the title: I'm Thinking about Re-Branding my Youtube Channel, "mussonman"

www.youtube.com/mussonman

I originally created it years and years ago (back in like, 2006-ish) and just used the name I use for various social media platforms.

But now that I've been attempting to build an audience, I think the name might be a detriment to my progress. I mean, it's not very appealing, most people don't know how to pronounce it, and it doesn't describe my content whatsoever. (I also can't think of a single conceivable logo that could incorporate the word Mussonman)

Does anyone think this is a good idea? Also, what should I change it to? I'm drawing a blank, though I did just think of this like then minutes ago.

My initial impression of your name was that it made me think about mutton and eating sheep.

Yeah if you go pro one day you might want a better name, so may as well pick one now.

What sort of name do you want? A name that stands for you or one that stands for what you produce? What sort of impression do you want the name to give?

Im not sure. I guess either way it would stand for what I produce, since that's what my name should be associated with

I definitely think this is a good idea. You want something that explains A) your content, B) your style, and C) you, as a creator.

So, you're doing comedy shorts and series, which have an irreverent, slightly bad taste, tone. And you – as an actor, writer, director – are at the centre of that work. I would certainly consider promotions (like the banner or channel trailer) featuring a supercut of all the different characters you've played, which introduces the style of the humour and you as a filmmaker.

Do you have a favourite line of dialogue from one of your films? Or maybe there's an influential work – Star Wars, Zelda, WoW – that you want to riff off? I think you need something that makes it obvious that these are COMEDY shorts, and something that introduces the idea that it's quite adult content, but, other than that, I have no real suggestions :/

How about "Sketchy Comedy"

Edit: Scratch that, several people seem to be using that one

Last edited:
why not create a main character for your series and call it something based on him? or base it on the theme of your shows..

Maybe something similar

"Shady Comedy" or "Shady Humor" (Kind of thought of a logo for this, but I dunno)

"Cryptic Comedy" (I like the alliteration in that one. The word 'cryptic' might help accentuate the sketch-format of the videos, but not so much the darker subject matter)

why not create a main character for your series and call it something based on him? or base it on the theme of your shows..

Well, the focus is sketch comedy/short films. I only have one series, Space Pilots, and it's basically a recurring sketch anyway.

Hmm, Cryptic Comedy immediately makes me assume that your videos would be funny but also puzzles or something like that. But maybe if you had a strong enough branding – a man lost in a crypt or something – it could work.

That's what I was thinking. I think some people would be intrigued by it, thinking it's mysterious. (which, it would be, since you never know what the next sketch would be about)

The Crypt-based Logo is a must. I'm already working on concept art for the logo in Blender

Rebranding doesn't make something new, it makes it appear new...
There must be an English saying saying something like "old wine in new barrels"
So if you rebrand, better make it really stand out with a great name, a renewed promise to your audience and great visuals.

Pro:
change to get a new better (?) name with a strong proposition.
A new name doesn't have to be descriptive I think, it can be metaphoric or just roll nicely on the tongue, so people can remember it better (like Freddy Mercury is a lot easier than his real name).
(A lot of brand names are not descriptive: Sony, Canon, Philips. A lot of brandnames are metaphoric: Puma (fast predator), Nike (Greek goddess of victory), Google (refers to an insane large number)

Con:
you need to rebrand on all your social media and forumaccounts. You will need to do this thoroughly with focus and a short period of time. It can mean that you have to say goodbye to your old account with millions of posts.
On the other hand: it is a chance.

Why can't you think of a logo?
I immediately have to think of a superman-like M.

PS.

If you rebrand: find a good graphic designer for a logo.
That will make a great difference as it will be a big step towards a more professional looking brand.

I think a cool "M" based logo would be better than rebranding. Thanks Walter.

I think I'll start specifying at the end of every video that my name is Mike Musson, so that people can start to know my personality a little (and how to pronounce my name.) And People tend to subscribe for personalities they enjoy more than videos they like.

If I start engaging with the audience more and put my own unique, creative stamp on my sketches (or a unique style or something) then people could start to get to know me better (and thus, more subscribers)

Back