"A Scanner Darkly"

Well, this year we will be treated to two films that could be considered Graphic Novel Movies. And I am proud to say that both are coming from Austin Filmmakers.

The first is Sin City which we all know about, so I won't go into it.

Second there is A Scanner Darkly. Now I have not read the story, nor am I a fan of Dick's work, but these pics from AICN are way cool and seriously make me want to see this movie. Anyone who has seen Linklater's Waking Life will recognize the technique that he is utilizing again, but from what I've heard (Austin film circulars, an aquaintance who's brother is an animator on the project), this one is taking that technology and moving it to the next level. I have also heard that based on early clips of this film, other films are being considred using the same animation techniques. We may be seeing the dawn of a new type of animation here.

Poke

Last edited:
Dude I saw the movie a while ago. It is so gnarly you should definitaly see it, at first though it was quite boring and took a while to understand what was happening. The first scene with the main character walking out to his car and then leaving the ground and flying about into the air is a crucial scene in understand the rest of the film. I would definitely recommend the movie but if you didnt dig A Scanner Darkly, then you probably wont dig A Waking Life.

Yeah, absolutely amazing films...although, the thread is a bit old (date posted in upper left of each post)...surprised that this didn't get more traffic back then :(

Back