Hi, I have a settings question.

Hi,

Basically, I have a question regarding the settings of my camera. I have started filming my teammates at their Jiu Jitsu competitions; however, I would like to start incorporating more slow motion into my videos. Anyway, to do this I know that its is better to fail at 50fps (I use a Canon 70D, and mostly a Sigma 17-55 lens, and sometimes my Canon 50mm prime lens), but my Canon only films 50fps and 720p.

Anyway, my question. If you were to fit the competition would you film the whole day in the 720/50fps settings? Or would you switch between those setting (for slow motion) and the regular 1080p/24fps settings for everything else - if you only had one camera that is. And if the latter is the case, how would one deal with that in post production (Final Cut Pro)? Would you render the whole video in 720p because the slow motion parts are 720p?

Here is a link to one of my videos so that you can see what type of stuff I am filming - so that you can give me more specific advice. Please remember though that I have only had my Camera for one month and am brand new to all this so the video will not be of the standard you are accustomed too. Also, the whole thing was filmed in 1090p/24fps, however, the slow motion parts look crappy. Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3oieEB45_o

Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and best wishes. :)

Bump.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. In retrospect I would have probably placed it in 'Equipment and Gear'.

I have used the search but couldn't seem to find the answer. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

This visually most perfect solution would be to shoot slow mo at 720p50, but normal footage at 720p24. That way you won't have the difference between full HD and blownup 720p footage.
AND you'll have a motion blur that looks the same in every shot.
However, that means you will have to switch framerates all the time AND correct the exposure.

That would be the most seemless combination of 24fps and 50fps footage.

This visually most perfect solution would be to shoot slow mo at 720p50, but normal footage at 720p24. That way you won't have the difference between full HD and blownup 720p footage.
AND you'll have a motion blur that looks the same in every shot.
However, that means you will have to switch framerates all the time AND correct the exposure.

That would be the most seemless combination of 24fps and 50fps footage.

Hi, thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately the only shooting options for me on the 70D are 1080/25fps, 1080/24fps, and 720/50fps. For some reason there is no option to film 720 at 24 or 25fps. I think this is why I have been unsure of what to do. If there was a 720p/24 or 25fps shooting option I would happily go for that.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received. :)

Back