Godfather VS Godfather Part 2

Which is the better film? Both Films follow the same narrative structure but which one has the more memorable characters and dialogue? Which film portrays Coppola at his directing best?

I don't know man, I've always read that Part II might have been better but for me it's not even close. The original simply has much more memorable scenes, better dialogue, and an all-around tighter structure that had me engaged from beginning to end. Part II was also a masterpiece but it didn't click with me as much. I would also say that the first film is a much greater example's directing talent because he introduced us to the world and characters with it while telling an amazing story. With Part II he was building on the world and characters of the original, and while the flashbacks were impressive I didn't find them to be fitting of the film's overall form (I kind of wish it were a separate movie even). I mean I knew why he put them in there, I just think he could have done a better job at integrating them. You can't go wrong with either, but in my opinion the first one is much better.

Yeah I agree with you, the first one also had James Caan who has the best role in the entire trilogy. I think because Coppola had trouble filming the first one, he was more daring and I think he does his best work under stressful conditions. With the second one he was more established so i believe he didn't have to push as hard. As you said they are both classics but the first just edges it.

Back