Filming a Feature Film With an iPhone

So I'm starting my first feature, adapted from my screenplay but it's a low budget film. I don't have a huge professional camera, so I've been considering using my iPhone 5 to shoot the entire film. What are your opinions on this? Is a smart phone a wise choice to shoot a film? And if so, are there any tips on cinematography I can get from you fine folks? Thank you.

If you have the budget to shoot a feature film (I assume you have, if you want to do that), why don't you pay out some more to borrow a camera from a storage? It wouldn't be that much, comparing to other things you have to pay for. How much does it cost per day in your country?

I get what you’re trying to say, but I don’t understand why? In fact, specifying a time limit for how much iPhone footage you’re willing to watch seem just bizarre to me. If someone came to you with a film, shot on iPhone, that ran to 79 minutes, you’d watch it, right? And what if Chris Nolan stated that he was working with Wally Pfister on his next film, and that they were shooting on iPhone, you’d refuse to watch? If a film looks good and sounds good, why do you care what it was shot on? It seems to me that the iPhone is capable of creating some pretty film-like images. It may be more hassle than it’s worth, but if somebody wants to shoot on iPhone and makes a good looking film, what’s the problem?

I never said anything about a time limit that I'd put up with? This post is about feature films which tend to be 80 minutes plus. I doubt I'd make it past a three minute video shot on iPhone, personally.

I like Nolan! Also liking Nolan means I know his stance on the topic; he wouldn't touch a project being shot on iPhone. Nolan bought a lifetime's worth of film stock for a reason, he wants to make sure that his movies will always be made using film instead of a digital format. But that's off-topic. Also, yes, iPhone can make a nice looking image, it's not one I personally care for though. If you're going to make a movie on a phone why not at least go for a high end phone? Something with a better camera and actual processor? Perhaps one of those new phones MADE to be a camera with lens?

Okay. I read your opinion very closely.

Let's say you find a feature (88 minutes) – a friends recommendation,
browsing Netflix – that is something you like; story, theme, premise,
genre. It's exactly in your wheelhouse.

a) you find out it was shot on an iPhone before you watch it
b) you start watching and while it looks okay, it's clearly not shot with
a DSLR or above but everything else is excellent.

Do you not watch it?

If I can distinguish that this hypothetical feature film was shot on anything less than a DSLR, my first reaction is to start researching how something of so little production value got onto Netflix without the kind of impact that Blair Witch Project made, perhaps it's the next phenomenon like that?

Then I'd have to watch it just for the fact it somehow did something right in the marketing side of the industry that I need to learn from. However, I will always judge them for having so little respect for their own project that they couldn't spend less than a thousand dollars to give the project a solid foundation.

If I can distinguish that this hypothetical feature film was shot on anything less than a DSLR, my first reaction is to start researching how something of so little production value got onto Netflix without the kind of impact that Blair Witch Project made, perhaps it's the next phenomenon like that?

Then I'd have to watch it just for the fact it somehow did something right in the marketing side of the industry that I need to learn from. However, I will always judge them for having so little respect for their own project that they couldn't spend less than a thousand dollars to give the project a solid foundation.
A non answer.

Look, if you don't want to answer just say so. I'm not trying to "trap" you
or argue. I am by nature a curious person. I'm sorry I asked.

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

re: OP's question:

Yes, you can use an iPhone to shoot a feature. But your story better be so compelling that audiences are sitting at the edge of their seats for the entire film. If you can't do this, don't bother using an iPhone (or DSLR, or RED, or Panavision Genesis).

A non answer.

Look, if you don't want to answer just say so. I'm not trying to "trap" you
or argue. I am by nature a curious person. I'm sorry I asked.

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

I'm sorry? I didn't try to make my post seem like I wasn't giving a straight answer to your question. I simply wanted to elaborate clearly instead of giving you a yes or no question, which in turn you learn nothing from.

I'll try to be clear though...

If it's on Netflix, yes I will watch it.

If it's on YouTube/Vimeo/Other, no I will not watch it.

as reported by Setlife Magazine, Scorsese used a handful of ARRI cameras, as well as a Canon C500. But, though only for a couple of short shots, Scorsese also utilized the Phantom Flex high-speed camera and an iPhone.

Source: http://nofilmschool.com/2014/01/scorsese-cinematic-approach-to-the-wolf-of-wall-street-p-t-anderson

It may be legit, it may be bogus. I don't really have much of an opinion on the subject, though if Scorsese used an iPhone (for some shots) with a cinematic release, that, while it may remove some of your storytelling options in regards to depth of field, isn't it possible that we shouldn't discount using the iPhone to shoot an entire film.

Oh, wait it has... In fact one of them made it into Sundance this year:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/28/7925023/sundance-film-festival-2015-tangerine-iphone-5s

So OP. Time to make your own decision. Can you? Sure. Should you? I wouldn't, but that's just me. You should really be discussing this with your DOP. If that's all you have, I say go for it.

@Joshua:

Yes, you can use an iPhone.
It has been done before.
Like GA and Direktorik said: having a great story in the first thing you need.

Qualitywise you just need to realise it won't look the same as whatever blockbuster.
But with great sound you can 'get away' with less than perfect images. (Perfect images with crappy sound make a movie unwatchable.)
How it will look will greatly depend on lighting, art direction and locations.

My question to you:
what is your experience with filmmaking? Have you made anything before?

@Sky:
technically speaking the iPhone shoots better video than any blockbuster from the 80s looked when played on a VHS...
I understand you reluctance to look forward to watching an iPhone feature.
However, any movie is defined by more than just the camera that was used.

Last edited:
The biggest challenge I can actually think of for this is not the quality of the picture (although thats a concern) but rather getting a committed (and quality) crew and cast to sign on and take you seriously. Most no budgets films are using at least a device that is meant to function as a camera and not a phone.

Unless your script is Oscar worthy - it will be the biggest challenge to find people willing to commit to a feature, for no pay, that they are going to immediately associate with looking like a home video when you reveal you plan to shoot with your phone. Unless perhaps you're located in LA, where theres an oversaturation of people desperate trying to make films. But, from my experience - I find it hard to find actors suitable for the script (that are willing to work for nothing but a meal on set-AKA, students) that are compatible with the shooting schedule even for a short film. Crew is even more brutal.

Cameras do matter, which is not to say don't use an i-phone, just first understand the limitations you will have with it, and the difference between how your footage looks as opposed to stuff shot on actual cameras...some of those differences you may be able to find a work around for, other things perhaps not. And that's ok. With all of that said though, if you sold your i-phone, you could probably afford a pretty good 2nd hand camera...a Panasonic GH2, or GH3 maybe....which would open up a whole new world to you.

Back