What is the best way to hire extras to make sure they show up on the shoot date?

Do you send them a contract through email that they have to sign, obligating them to show up on the shoot date? One of my friends who is a lawyer recommended that I do this, but it may intimidate a lot of them. But since this shoot date with all of these extras will cost me a ton of money, I do have to make absolutely sure that everyone will show up. I'm hiring about 25 extras and they all have sent me their headshots/resumes so now it's just needing them to show up.

What is the best way to go about doing it?

@Sky the extras aren't getting payed.

Last edited:
If they're part of SAG they will have to show up or they'll get in trouble. Of course then you have a mandatory daily minimum and extra paperwork

If you're "hiring" them and they're not getting paid, they're not being hired, they're being asked to volunteer.

1) Ask for 4 times more extras than you need.

2) Arrange transportation for about 1/4 of the ones you actually need (your friend with a van).

This is a way to ensure you get close to what you need on shoot day.

Do you send them a contract through email that they have to sign, obligating them to show up on the shoot date?

This is likely to get you in more trouble than it's worth. Creating a paper trail for the labor unions to take you to task... hmm.... Is it legal in your area? Even if it's all above board, do you want to be in court for the next year trying to sue extras for not turning up?

What is the best way to go about doing it?

Writing the script so there isn't a need for that many extras. Volunteer extras are notoriously carefree. The best way to get them to turn up is to give THEM a reason that they NEED to turn up. Pay attention to channel WIIFM.

When you have a shoot you should really have a great craft table, a comfortable place for the cast and crew to relax, and you should at least pay a modest stipend. You should also be throughly prepared for the shoot; no one likes having their time wasted.

If you do this consistently the extras who do come will be grateful, there's a good chance they'll show up again when you need them, and they will tell others they they were well-fed, got gas money and were treated with respect, so others may be more inclined to keep their promise to show up.

Back