Panasonic 3ccd gs-120 or gs200 Compare to Cannon GL2

I know there is a big price jump between the two cameras the GL2 and the Panasonic PV-GS200/120 but I would like to some of your opinions on the picture quality between the two

Looking at the PV-gs200 it has 3ccd , mic input and headphone input , I was playing with it in the store and it seems really nice and has the inputs needed and the 3ccd , it's small so that will help in some cases.

I have worked on projects with the GL2 though I have heard some people say the picture is not as good as others like the sony vx-2100 but i have never seen that one
and the GL2 doesn't have xlr inputs so I would need a adapter to use a nice mic , and that goes for the panasonic but what consumer grade camera comes with xlr inputs anyways? I like the fact that the color seems to be good on the gs200 but any thoughts on this one.

I have read that the Panasonic is not as good in low light and that image stab. is not good neither , but thats what lighting and tripods are for right? hahah...So far thats the only bad thing about the panasonic I have read so far. I like the price and size too.

This is what I'm thinking right now, is maybe i can save some money to go with the panasonic GS-120 or 200 then instead shelling out big buck for a gl2 or the sony vx2100 and so on,
and do some projects and later on get a better camera and use the panasonic as a second camera

So HOW much better if any would a GL2 compare to a GS200 in any way shape or form maybe some pro's and con's

Well, the GL2's CCDs are much larger, weighing in at 1/4" while the GS200 only has 1/6" CCDs. The GL2 also has a 30p mode for a cinematic framerate effect. They're both great cameras, but the GL2, imho, is much better. By the way, there are some great stereo input mics.

BTW, your plan sounds good! :)

there is NO comparison. Get the GL2

Panasonic 3ccd gs-120 or gs200 Compare to Cannon GL2

I own the GS120 and if I had the money for a GL2 I would have that. :yes:

There is really no comparison in my eyes. The Canon has better optics, bigger CCDs, and it's physically bigger. It's great! I bought the GS120 because it was the best I could get for my money at the time. Also look at how they operate in low light settings. Search for reviews on both. There are some out there with footage you can check out, if not then frame cap. stills.
I think I'll move towards the DVX100a though. BUT I've been getting into VFX and am thinking on spending my money on a Flint system instead! :D

Last edited:
I've got a GS200 and for the time being I'm happy with it.. it'll do basically "broadcast quality" which for most things is fine. I'm getting more into film though, and for any serious projects I do I will probably shoot on film. I do have an idea for a feature I'd like to make at some point that will use DV, super 8, and 16 (or 35, depending on budget).. but that's still a long way off, as the idea is more of a visual style than story anyway.

I would have gotten the GL2 had I been able to afford it, the GS200 was a strech for me, but I'm satisfied with it. If I had the money to throw at a new digital cam, I'd get either the DVX100a or an XL2.

By the way, I also agree, your plan sounds good. I plan to eventually use my GS200 with an RC helicopter for aerial shots.. but I don't have the helicopter yet, and don't want to risk the camera falling that far yet either. ;)

Coot, if you have vegas you can crop the 720x480 to 720x380 and render out. it looks really nice and looks very close to 16:9. or you can go with 720x405 and still keep that letterbox look.

I have the 120 as well and the color is far better then my new JVC but obviouslly not the same resolution. Im gonna use my 120 for mobile shots and the JVC for greenscreen.

But i thought he said he had vegas. thats why I was saying that. I never used premier other then toying with it a few times at a friends house. it looks like it has a large learning curve.

I've got a vx2100. It's great. I've never used a GL2, but have used a GL1 if they're comparable. Colors on the vx2100 are very rich, compared to the GL1 was dry and grainy. The only thing I like about the GL cameras is the frame mode, but other than that I would say if you can go for the Sony.

as I posted on another site the PV GS120 has major issues with fog or damp weather. Maybe this is normal for many camcorders but My camera was twithing like it was weened off of opiots.

and the video got gummed up a bit. i kept having to clean the tape head. Its definitly not an outdoor camera. I have an older version of the pV that has IR it has a huge case compared to the PV GS models and is very durable. Its my "Trash about" Camera and has decent picture quality even in low light there isnt half the noise as the GS120 has. Not as nice color because its a single chip.

Anyways Buy a GS400 not a 200 or 120 if you have the funds. Its 1300 bucks at Frys and Best Buys. Its a real sweet camera and has a larger chip set then the 200 and 120.

Hmm that's crazy mr. Goldfish. The GS70 I have access to (precursor to the 120) does quite well outside. It was taken to barrow alaska in freezing temp and it help up just fine. Only a single dropout.

EDIT: Crazy as in "that's a lot of problems!" I certainly don't think you're crazy!

Last edited:
not my 120. I went into a cave and it just started fogging up and the tape got all sticky. there was alot of fog outside too that day.

the older PV camera (the IR filter) works with no problem and I drop it it just keeps running. its really durable. I think the PV GS120 and 200 model are for people who take videos at picnics and maybe at amusment parks. Its almost like a broadcast palm camera. easy to conceal. but that small and light weight is do to the crappy thin casing. I feel if I drop it its going to crack the lens or just trash the guts inside.

Back