Advise on what camera to buy!

Hello,

I want to buy a camera for shooting videos and movies.
I have some characteristics in my mind that I want my camera to have.
Please give me any advise on what camera should I buy.

One big question is DSLR or camcorder? Which have more professional result?
(comparing DSLR and camcorder at the same price f.e. $1000).
Is it true that expensive camcorders are better than DSLRs in the same price?

I want my camera to definitely have/be:
Full HD or above
60 fps (not 50 or 48...)
good for night shot
jack for microphone
enough zoom (for DSLR as much as it can)
uncompressed video saving

I don't get bored to make research, I'm searching everyday and I include in my research your opinions!

Please tell me your opinion on what kind of camera should I buy.

UPDATE (27-8-2015):
Thank you again guys for all the answers.
Let me make the question even more specific after the knowledge you transferred to me.

I would like please to tell me if you know, a DSLR + lenses for about $1000 - $1500 that has/is:
Full HD 1920 x 1080
60 fps (at 1920 x 1080)
very good for night shot
a lot of zoom
jack for microphone (so I plug external microphone)

Last edited:
Here is a scenario using the info I have provided (because I realized that you are not so good with scenarios.

Huh? I gave you a scenario where you record images at higher than professional/commercial frame rates and record audio at the cheap consumer level and you give me exactly the same scenario and tell me that I'm not so good with scenarios. You're not related to Alexis Tsipras are you?

And the fact that I don't know yet where to upload or send it... doesn't mean that I had in my mind the youtube option for my short films.

Thanks again for proving my point, shame you don't appear to realise that you've proven my point!

You said to much in this thread but at the end of the day you said almost nothing.

You mean I've said nothing which you apparently want to hear or are capable of hearing, as proven by your increasingly bizarre and defensive responses. All of which is a good reason for me to no longer waste my time participating in this thread. Good luck.

G

I would like to be perfect for the criteria I mentioned. Thank you for the information!

Make sure to hire/borrow the camera before buying.
That makes your choices more solid than based on a forum. Nothing beats first hand experience.
To what you seem to want in a camera indeed comes together in an A7s.
However, no camera is perfect, at least not within your budget. The A7s superpowers in lowlight come at the cost of relatively high rolling shutter when in full frame mode. This can distort your images when you shoot unstable or fast moving stuff. So make sure you like the footage, before buying.

BTW, I like the A7s: especially in darker places or on a gimbal, but the jack input isn't perfect for great sound.
I also like the C100/C300 or the FS7 (which are at a very different price point).
All cameras with there own strong points.

Make sure to hire/borrow the camera before buying.
That makes your choices more solid than based on a forum. Nothing beats first hand experience.
To what you seem to want in a camera indeed comes together in an A7s.
However, no camera is perfect, at least not within your budget. The A7s superpowers in lowlight come at the cost of relatively high rolling shutter when in full frame mode. This can distort your images when you shoot unstable or fast moving stuff. So make sure you like the footage, before buying.

BTW, I like the A7s: especially in darker places or on a gimbal, but the jack input isn't perfect for great sound.
I also like the C100/C300 or the FS7 (which are at a very different price point).
All cameras with there own strong points.

I'm afraid that A7s is abit expensive for my budget and I don't know if I trust it used! From the researcher I did I found that A77ii is pretty good for what I want! What is your opinion on A77ii considering that it has Image stabilization and Effective pixels: 24 megapixels?

Huh? I gave you a scenario where you record images at higher than professional/commercial frame rates and record audio at the cheap consumer level and you give me exactly the same scenario and tell me that I'm not so good with scenarios. You're not related to Alexis Tsipras are you?
Hahaha, nice joke! By the way he quieted...
Now, I understand your need to relax this conversation but please, if you have put yourself in a difficult situation just don't answer any more. Don't say jokes, and I'm not speaking about the Tsipras joke, that was a good one.

You said:
If you're looking to record some audio where the imbalance doesn't matter, because you're not going to use that audio in the finished video, then just use the camera's built-in mic. From the info you have provided, there is no scenario where a camera with a "jack for microphone (so I plug external microphone)" makes any sense.

And I answered:
Here is a scenario using the info I have provided (because I realized that you are not so good with scenarios..) : I managed to gather some dollars. I want a great camera and a great audio with these money. This will be the only camera I have. So whenever I want to make a video without needing to be professional, for example videos for youtube, pranks, interacting with people..., (here is the tricky part, watch out) because the only camera I will have will be this great (for it's price) camera regardless of my neediness for a cheaper camera, I will use the only one I will have, the expensive one. But, instead of caring with me any expensive sound recording equipment, I'll just have a cheap wireless microphone plunged in to the jack that exists in DSLRs.
Despite your luck of imagination, the very fact that expensive DSLRs have a jack for microphone should trigger you to realize that there must be some scenarios about this.

As you can understand (obviously not you but anyone else) you couldn't find a scenario for the external microphone NOT for the build-in microphone. And I gave you the scenario for why I need a jack for an EXTERNAL MICROPHONE.

Thanks again for proving my point, shame you don't appear to realise that you've proven my point!
Don't relapse, try to fight it. You start guessing again. Now your guess is that I intent to any movie/short film platform and because there are no platforms for 60fps videos so I intent to YouTube.

You mean I've said nothing which you apparently want to hear or are capable of hearing, as proven by your increasingly bizarre and defensive responses. All of which is a good reason for me to no longer waste my time participating in this thread. Good luck.
I mean you said nothing from the things I asked. The only thing you did was to argue to any sentence I wrote using an ironic attitude obviously to get in to a conflict and prove that you know many things about cameras and sound. But I hope you got your little lesson from an unknown """newbie""" on how to use logical facts to control your arrogance and improve your thoughts and your discussions on the next threads.
You have a website, you are a businessman. You MUST correct some things in your behavior. Otherwise, the good luck, that I'm wishing to you too, will be wasted.

I'm afraid that A7s is abit expensive for my budget and I don't know if I trust it used! From the researcher I did I found that A77ii is pretty good for what I want! What is your opinion on A77ii considering that it has Image stabilization and Effective pixels: 24 megapixels?

I have no experience with the A77ii itself but I do have experience with Sony (particularly the issues with the codec), Panasonic, Black Magic and Canons. According to your criteria, an A77ii would be better than a Canon at the same price point, purely on low light sensitivity but if it was my money at this price point, I'd pick a T3i. Rationale is:

HD: All cameras are HD. The Canon gives a better quality image in 'normal' light at this price point.
Low light: An A77ii will be better than the Canon in terms of low light.
Zoom: Again, nothing to do with the camera, this is the lens. A Sony E55-210 f4
Jack for mic: Both.

Price: $1500 USD if you buy this new or cheaper from Hong Kong although the T3i will be a little cheaper.

The reason I suggest a Canon is because the advantages of image quality and a whole host of other elements outweigh the advantages of low light shooting on the Sony. Again, I don't know your setup and maybe you will be entirely shooting at midnight in the dark on slow glass with no lights in which case the Canon will be completely useless.

I have no experience with the A77ii itself but I do have experience with Sony (particularly the issues with the codec), Panasonic, Black Magic and Canons. According to your criteria, an A77ii would be better than a Canon at the same price point, purely on low light sensitivity but if it was my money at this price point, I'd pick a T3i. Rationale is:

HD: All cameras are HD. The Canon gives a better quality image in 'normal' light at this price point.
Low light: An A77ii will be better than the Canon in terms of low light.
Zoom: Again, nothing to do with the camera, this is the lens. A Sony E55-210 f4
Jack for mic: Both.

Price: $1500 USD if you buy this new or cheaper from Hong Kong although the T3i will be a little cheaper.

The reason I suggest a Canon is because the advantages of image quality and a whole host of other elements outweigh the advantages of low light shooting on the Sony. Again, I don't know your setup and maybe you will be entirely shooting at midnight in the dark on slow glass with no lights in which case the Canon will be completely useless.

You ruined my dreams about buying a mirrorless sony :P. Thank you for the information that Canon gives a better quality image in 'normal' light at this price point!

Back