Where are film festivals standards about erotic/controversial content listed?

I doubt Fellini’s films would get accepted to many US festivals for which I peruse last year's content online.

Our film is tame by Canadian and European standards. It has *very* brief partial nudity but plenty of 'adult' subject matter (verbal only), even though it is an art film. I see that several New Zealand festivals ask for Australia ratings. In Canada, at least in the past, Film Societies had a way around this because being technically 'not public' screenings and therefore exempt from classification. The filmmaker believes the film might be too controversial for US audiences, but my opinion is different. Film Festival audiences I suspect are not made up of ultra-social conservatives. But even ‘liberals’ (especially liberals?) have become rather socially conservative in this area since the 1980s.

I know he will not cut even seconds of flesh to please the censors. Which is why I foresee a problem in any Asian festivals.

I was at HollyShorts Film Festival earlier this month (had a screenplay named as a semi-finalist) and didn't see any nudity whatsoever in any of the films. It's the only festival I've been to so far and I didn't see every film, but a lot of what I did see was absolutely incredible and contained no nudity. I'm sure it depends on the festival, though.

However, there was some pretty raunchy dialogue-- in the comedy block, to be specific.

Last edited:
It's interesting. I never thought about it until your post here.

I've been to a lot of film festivals , both as an attendee and as an artist. Feature narrative films have nudity pretty regularly. There is also no shortage of erotic or controversial content in feature programs.

However, when I think back on the shorts programs, it is a little different.
While there is plenty of really edgy and controversial stuff in the short films,
I'm not sure if I remember any nudity - at all.

Could just be my memory though.

Back