Using copyrighted music in a short

If I'm just making a very short short film to share with my friends on Facebook is it bad if I use music I do not own the rights to?

I know its still technically illegal but could I ever get in any real trouble? Thanks!

I think the worst that could happen (as of US law today) is they'd tell you to take it down, or more specifically someone would report it on facebook/youtube/whatever and they would take it down. If it's just a video for your friends, well, lots of people on here have done it. You already know it's not legal, but you're not trying to sell it or anything, so you should be good.

Of course, that depends on the artist. Prince will have your teeth ;) On the other hand, I once stumbled on a video set to a song I did YEARS before, and it was a great feeling! Caveat: cover I did for a tribute cd that I never tried to make money on myself, but I think I'd feel the same way had it been something I was trying to make money on. Provided they bought it from me ;)

YES, it's bad.
stopinthenameofsunglassesp1.gif

NO, nothing will happen to you.
tumblr_leimsh3o7u1qe0eclo1_r1_500.gif

(BTW, it's YOUR FAULT the internet is being shut down. Skapreciatedit).

Last edited:
Beats me.
Sux2Bher.
Ouch.

Nope! Wait...
News update:

YES, you will go to jail for using copyrighted material in your shorts to your family and friends.
Please report to your nearest detention center for processing.
If you see my car keys while you're down on the floor there will you be a dear and get them for me?
Thx!

Back