• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

CGI Integration - Need some feedback.

Hi there, I am planning to do some live action CGI shots for a short film, spaceship flyby or something like that. I started with a picture just to get some feedback before I start doing the video, does it look real? Is the lightning ok? I want to see if something can be improved.

Rendered out the model in 3DS Max and color corrected in After Effects.

And also, how could I make smoke eject from a ship?
EDIT: I think I saw a tutorial on that on videocopilot.net, I'll see if I can find it

Last edited:
I think it looks convincing but something is off and I'm not sure what.

There seems to be motion blur on the foreground but not everywhere else.

But I agree with renard, the whole trick is the animation.

I agree with you. When I rendered it out in 3DS Max it was a little too bright, and I had to adjust the colors and brightness/contrast in After Effects, I also added some grain and blur to it. All these adjustements may have "reduced" the realism pehaps. I think I will adjust the settings in 3DS Max and do a re-render, so I don't have to edit it to much in AE, it should look better, hopefully!

It's too sharp. If you just apply some motion blur in the correct direction on that layer, it will look great!

Also make sure that the jet engine is so bright, it would probably brighten up the environment in some parts as well (on the water in this instance)

Phil

It's too sharp. If you just apply some motion blur in the correct direction on that layer, it will look great!

Also make sure that the jet engine is so bright, it would probably brighten up the environment in some parts as well (on the water in this instance)

Phil

Of course! I didn't think about that, should help sell the effect, thanks for the tip :) I will start doing some editing when I'm home.

If this was a shot in a feature film I'd tell you that the ship does not look like it's 'in' the plate.

Don't take this personally, or a slam on your work. I'm going to give you a bit of a laundry list of things that will improve your shot. VFX is won & lost in the details, so you have a number of them to hit in order to make the shot work. No single fix will do it, you need to hit a bunch of things to dial the shot in.

NOTES & SUGGESTIONS

- Lighting direction: The silent killer. If this is wrong, the shot will never quite look right. Your spaceship appears to be lit under ideal conditions to show off the modeling and textures. Try to put the desire to see your hard work (in model & paint) aside and make integration your only consideration: When I study the bridge span and the FG railings, I see the sun direction (the key) as coming from the top/left side of frame, & toward camera. Now look at your ship, compare it to the bridge, cars, and FG railing. It appears your lighting direction is incorrect because the side of the ship (particularly the fuselage) needs to be much darker.

- It appears your ship is casting shadows on itself. This indicates a sunny day, but the BG plate is overcast. As a result, there would be no direct shadows, just key & fill sides with an ambient occlusion pass blended in to add some localized density.

- The Ship lighting is the wrong color. - Suggestion: Turn off all the engine lighting. Then, match the ship's lighting and levels and color to the concrete bridge. Match it exactly and go from there. Look closely at the bridge; concrete is usually grey, but in the plate, it's very blue (Do the same to you ship). After your levels and color match the plate exactly, you can carefully bring up some lighting from the engines. The idea is to suggest engine light without ruining how the ship blends with the plate.

-The engine light is too large. That could easily come down by at least 70%.

- Consider removing the lens flare. Although a lens flare used to be a fashionable element in CG composites it's use (Read: over use) has spoiled it as a VFX go-to.

- If you keep the lens flare (and I hope you don't) , It's the wrong color. Your ship, in turn, is polluted with this color, and doesn't fit the color temp of the surrounding plate. Yes, I know the engine light creates it's own color, but this version is way too big.

- Have the ship create a lighting effect on the BG plate. My suggestion is that you lower the ship a little bit, and then add a broken reflection of the engine light in the water. Nothing fancy here, just take the CG ship element, duplicate it, mirror it vertically, displace heavily it with the water, and comp it by pulling a key on the water and screening your reflection mostly through the darker part of the water.

- Add a little blur & nose to the ship.

- I disagree with the above notes about animation. Animation is physics & performance, not integration.

Regards,
Thomas

Last edited:
Some wind turbulence effects over the wingtips will also help create a sense of movement. As said before lighting could improve. But I believe the biggest thing to be off the scale and angle.

It looks pretty close to the camera, which makes the take-off angle kind of weird.
Also, personally it'd ditch the flare on the exhaust and turn the light source down alot.

The ship is too sharp - add some blur + motion blur until it matches the footage.
Colors are wrong - should be more blue
Engine too bright - decrease

Remember if the ship gets near the water you have to make the reflection.

Motion blur, overall blur and edge blur are three completely different things.

Motion blur relates to the subject's movement relative to those of the camera, and can only be judged with the shot in motion (not just a still-frame). Take your shot for example, if the camera is panning with the space ship, you will get very little MB compared to a lock off.

In general, you don't simply add more 'motion blur' than that of the matching shutter angle of your production camera. In fact, fiddling with the renderers MB setting without understanding what the real problem is a mistake, and should be avoided (as a best practice).

If your renderer's MB is correctly matches the setting on the camera and your resulting renders come out wrong, there there is a problem with either the match-move, the animation or your render assumptions/settings. Diagnose and fix. (I know, I know, I know; we all scab over problems in the comp, but if we are teaching someone how to final a shot, cutting corners isn't the first lesson).

Again, it's in the details.

Thomas

Thanks for extraordinary help and tips everyone! As this was my second attempt at CG integration, I will need all the help I can get! I will use your feedback to improve it, I will try my best to edit and adjust it, and upload a new picture tomorrow :)

EDIT: I just realized since I am a student, I get 3DS Max 2013 for fee via their educational program, awesome stuff :)

Last edited:
Congrats on the free software. Are you a film student?

Studying Media & Communication, which involves all kinds of media-production, film-making is my favourite though :) We got the Adobe Master Collection for free as well from our school, I am really happy about it.

Looking forward to edit the spaceship tomorrow, gnight.

Back