First short film

I am completely new to film making and have never made a film before. Is it possible to make a short 10-15 minute film in about a week? I have a deadline to make this film which is November 1 at the earliest and December 1st at the latest.

I was just curious as to how long the planning process typically takes. I wrote a short story that I'd like to base this script on, but have yet to write out the actual script. How long does it typically take to book a sound guy? I was planning on shooting most of it outside so natural light would be perfectly fine for this film.

Also, the story centers around a 10-14 year old boy, can one book child actors at a local talent agency for their short independent film? I don't know any kids!

The reason for the deadline is that, I'm applying to grad school and most schools want some kind of portfolio. I'd like to add a short film or at least part of a short film to that, early acceptance is for November 1st.

Also, some feedback on my short story would be terrific.

Also, wondering what camera I should use. I've been reading good things on the Canon EOS T5i 700 D. Some people have posted videos of it on youtube and the quality of the video looks really excellent. I'm 28 years old and so I really don't want to waste any more time fiddling around with mediocre camcorders.

Welcome to indietalk.

What a great experience you're about to have. You're going to have fun, learn a
lot and be incredibly frustrated.

I was just curious as to how long the planning process typically takes. I wrote a short story that I'd like to base this script on, but have yet to write out the actual script.
Someone who has never written a script may find it takes a lot longer than
anticipated. Since you already have the short story it could take you only a
couple of days to adapt it - but it still might be a week or so. The planning
process usually takes a month or two. Someone with a lot of experience
could do it in a couple of weeks. You have a LOT of work ahead of you.

How long does it typically take to book a sound guy? I was planning on shooting most of it outside so natural light would be perfectly fine for this film.
If you are paying local rates you should be able to find an audio recordist
and boom op in a couple of days. If you aren't paying it will take longer;
figure two weeks before you find someone.

Shooting outside had its own challenges - the sun moves making shadows change
so that doesn't make lighting any easier.

Also, the story centers around a 10-14 year old boy, can one book child actors at a local talent agency for their short independent film? I don't know any kids!
Yes. That's what agencies do.
Also, wondering what camera I should use. I've been reading good things on the Canon EOS T5i 700 D. Some people have posted videos of it on youtube and the quality of the video looks really excellent.
It a fine camera. That would be a good one to use.

I hope you return to show us your movie. Good luck!

Last edited:
Welcome to IT!

There are no rules for how long something usually takes.
As Rik says: if you are new to something it usually takes longer than when you are experienced.

While you are preparing to shoot: go and make some simple stuff with your smartphone or camera to get a taste of shooting and test some ideas for your scenes.

Welcome to IT! :D

I'd recommend forgetting about the Nov. 1st deadline. I also would recommend drastically changing the idea of doing a 10-15 minute short. I think you'll be surprised just how much time and energy goes into that. Every step of the process is going to take considerably longer than what you probably imagine.

I think it'd be much more feasible, if you wanted to have one short film to show them, to make one 5-minute piece.

But seeing as how you want to have a reel to show them, perhaps variety might be something to go for. How about, from now until Dec. 1st, you make one 1-minute long short per week? Make them different from each other. Different styles of shooting, different locales, different cast, different genres. Stretch yourself in as many different directions as possible. I think you could learn a lot by doing that, and it would be far more difficult to pull off than you probably think, cuz as you're in post production on one short, you'd be in preproduction on another, and both require a great deal of time.

Best of luck!

Back