• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about writing a phone conversation.

In my script I have seen with a phone conversation. I wrote EXT. STREET SIDEWALK -- DAY for guy A who gets a call from Guy B. I then wrote INT. CAFE -- SAME TIME for Guy B, when he starts talking into the phone. I then wrote INTERCUT -- PHONE CONVERSATION, like you are suppose to. However, Guy A asks B to look up some things on his laptop, and then get back get back to him. Moments later, when he calls him back, do I have to go through the whole description again, of saying the other location, and writing a new INTERCUT -- PHONE CONVERSATION?

Or will the audience get the idea and you can just write them talking back and forth, and it's clear?

Thanks.

What are we seeing while Guy B is looking up stuff on a laptop? If you're breaking away from the phone call then you should maybe INTERCUT again when the call starts again. If you're staying on the phone with them both then you don't need to.

I'd like to make a suggestion though that you should maybe try to come up with a different way of showing all this if you're going to have two guys talking on the phone and then one is looking up stuff on a laptop and then they're back on the phone. Just feels a tad unnecessary and uncinematic. Can Guy A just receive the call from Guy B who tells him the info straight up?

Back