• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Autobiography and Morality: Turning family life into film

Hi there.

I'm struggling with some moral questions in regards to a short no-exit film I have in mind.

It is not based on my life but vague events, stories and settings from my mother's life, her relationships with her family, their inter-relationship etc. I only know what I've noticed, what I've been told and what I know from a third party perspective, and I am having some moral issues in terms of hurting my mother if she was ever to see the film.

The character are all based on family I know or rather do not know too well. I am very aware I am using these characters and events to write a dramatised script where the motives for their actions are not at all based in the reality I know, but I am concerned that I am bastardising my mother's memories and taking advantage of possibly sensitive material as a bases for a narrative domestic drama.

So far, I see three options:

1. write it anyway, discuss it with my mother later and edit accordingly
2. speak to her first and try and build a reflection of her reality, rather than my observations dramatised (here, i could risk her being upset that I want to use it in the first place)
3. come up with a completely fictitious conflict not based on family events

I'm not necessarily looking for answers on what I should do, but rather your own feelings towards the morality of the situation, and shared experience.

P.S. I am new to screenwriting so please be patient, I've written semi-autobiographical scripts before which aim to translate experiences I've been through into universal experiences.

Writing screenplays on actual events that occurred in real life is the best way to go because it's realistic. That's what you want. I say go through with it. With regards to your mother. She doesn't necessarily have to know. I don't expect you to write her actual name in your screenplay and make it blatantly obvious. All characters must be fiction but the circumstances should be real.

The answer is sort of #2, but my advice would be, if it is evident this is based on your family, definitely give a heads up first, but let them know you took creative liberties to make it into a film, and that, what they see on the screen was only inspired by them, but exaggerated or created for film (even if it is spot on), and that you are thankful to have such a vibrant family that can be the muse of your art. This should also be more of a lighthearted "in passing" heads up and not serious, or then, they will worry. If they are not close family members don't even sweat it (#4 ;)).

Your inner voice is absolutely right. You don't do these sort of abusive choices. You don't have to.

Choice 4. You use the conflict and disguise it with caution. Then your mother will get the optimal reaction: She'll feel that she belongs to the target audience because she can relate so well to the story.

So, your mom spent 3 years in a mental hospital because her family members thought she looks like a monkey and you want to make that into a movie. The story isn't interesting, it is the conflict. A person suffers 3 years because of nasty remarks. It can just as well be a news reporter saying a word wrong on live TV and because the people in her gym found it funny, she retires, goes through hell for a long time, before she feels comfortable to go live again.

Do it like this and you can open a discussion with your mom saying that you thought about the family issue and made sure no-one sees a resemblance. Then you'll have your mom in your corner for a long time, because now she knows she can trust you.

There are no moral issues in writing. Moral issues arise by your desire to make it a movie. Talk with mom AKA do the research that an autobiography writer has to do, write it and if there are any issues with the final work, just write the next script.

But, my opinion is to choose 3. Writing your story, or your family's story, is a dangerous idea. There are pre-existed strong emotions in you, about your life-story, which prevent you to see the real emotions that your script can create to the reader who haven't experienced before the situations you are describing.

Always remember the quote that Richard Walter mentions in his book, Essentials of Screenwriting (I think he mentions that...): no one cares about your story! The audience only care about a good story, not a real story.

Last edited:
Always remember the quote that Richard Walter mentions in his book, Essentials of Screenwriting (I think he mentions that...): no one cares about your story! The audience only care about a good story, not a real story.

TRUE unless it is a well known story that you must get right... but even then, it still has to be a movie! So yeah.

Honestly I think you shouldn't worry so much over it. There's plenty of eccentric characters based on family members that made it into sitcoms and TV. In most cases they feel honored to have been represented, which though, you can always deny. ;) . Best of luck!

Back