Super Short Documentary

Hey guys. I got confuse one something here.

In my video production class, my group show our lecturer our plan which is film on a pastry chef, talk about the begin of his business, the struggle he faced, what he gained and a little bit about his family. The assignment is create a documentary film with duration of 5 minutes. After reading the plan, the lecturer reject our plan and said our film look like 2 hours documentary film. He said short documentary should be narrow down the field. He ask me to do something more focus such as how the pastry chef create a wedding cake etc.

here's what I confuse about. Is it that short documentary got different requirement than 2 hours documentary film? Since most of my references are long documentary like Inside Job and Bruce Lee's documentary. So is there anything I need to take more carefully in short documentary?

I'd imagine you have to focus on one aspect of the subject and be much more brief about everything that surrounds it.

Your lecturer suggests that you should focus on event, the pastry chef making a cake, discuss that in detail, but only briefly discuss other parts of his work, his life, family, etc.

Back