Cost to shoot a classroom scene?

So I had a location fall through last minute. I have a whole classroom of free extras for a 6th grade class, but nowhere to film the scene and it's happening this Saturday (in 3 days)

Every public school in Los Angeles won't allow us to film, even for 2 hours, without going through FilmLa, which means I'll need insurance and permits, etc.

Does anyone know, at the end of the day, how much this location will cost me doing it the legit way? It's a short film and shouldn't fall under the "commercial film" category since we're not making money on it.

Other options I've considered, but haven't had any luck are: Private schools, churches, just finding a blank room to dress up. The main problem is we need desks and a big whiteboard in the room.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:
I made this post after getting lost on FilmLA's website, but decided to just call them and got the info I needed... It will cost me close to $2,000 which is double the budget for the entire short :(

Any other suggestions still appreciated.

I made this post after getting lost on FilmLA's website, but decided to just call them and got the info I needed... It will cost me close to $2,000 which is double the budget for the entire short :(

Any other suggestions still appreciated.

Instead of using the classroom maybe you can pay the school money just to borrow the desks. It'll make it much easier to dress up another room.

You can get a can of blackboard paint pretty cheap and draw on that with chalk. paint over it again when you're done.

When we shot Surviving Family, we used a college classroom where we had a relationship with the administration and got it for free. We just used a small corner of the room and decorated it to be an elementary school classroom.

Back