What came first the cast or the crew?

I generally have my crew squared away first and cast last. I've known people to go the other way around. In independent film I think it's just a get what you can while you can kinda thing. The big fat important thing you need before you do either of those is a tight schedule with rain days. You have to be able to tell people when you need them and you have to have back up days to for the unexpected...which you should be expecting. :abduct: And make sure your schedule is longer than you think it will take to shoot. It always takes longer than you think and if for some miraculous reason it doesn't, then you wrap early, no one will be mad at you for that.

The answer to this question is going to be the dreaded: it depends.

I set the start date first. I then hire a UPM. We then hire a Location Manager and a Casting Director. The first crew I hire is the Art Director. Then we start scouting. DP and Editor are hired during this process. The DP usually has a camera crew and Gaffer she likes. I let the UPM work on gathering the rest of the crew while we audition actors.

So it all kind of happens at the same time. In about 10 to 12 days.

If you are more comfortable having the entire crew set before you start casting, then go for it. Of course, if you want to go through all the casting first, get them lined up and ready to go before you start interviewing for crew - there would be no real problem that I could see.

When do you start shooting?

I've got to agree with all of the above.

A more traditional way to approach the issue is to set up departments and hire the heads of those departments and then delegate the heads of department to hire their teams, whilst you (as director?) cast. This isn't something I've had to do yet, but I can see that I will on the film after my next.

Personally I always know pretty much who my cast is going to be when I'm writing, plus I have names in mind for key crew. I know from pulling the project together who I most need on board to make the project work and I target them first. On some films it's a key cast member, on some it's a key crew member, usually the DOP or Art Director.

Thanks guys. I guess i'll go with getting the crew first. Hay, the name of my film is Behind the scene. It's a 96 page screenplay. If you know anyone in the San Antonio TX area that is in the indie film industry and could help please, my e-mail is utilityproduction@yahoo.com

Back