Casting

I am relatively new to film making and have come into a dilemma. Usually when working on projects, my team and I have cast talent from a local actor's workshop and our school's theater department. By casting through these outlets, we have managed to gain reliable talent that doesn't require much resources to be used e.g. money. Although there is a pretty sizable pool of people to choose from, I feel after working on as many projects as we have with them, that our selection is becoming a little trite.

My dilemma is: I would personally like my prospective projects to have a wider variety of talent to choose from. Mainly as a way to learn to work with different actors and develop an even larger pool.

Are there any suggestions on where to find prospective talent without going well beyond my means.

Taking into consideration that I am a student, I would define beyond means as having to really spend a lot of money. However, I am willing to pay for talent's gas and food.

You should consider a job in politics. The ability to answer a question without answering it is a skill of value in politics. In film making, not so much.

What's spending a lot of money? Or was that you attempting to say you're only willing to pay for gas and food?

Hope you're not in a hurry for an answer. At this rate...

I got people for free on craiglist, some of them talented!! But I also posted my short film as a sample of my work and the quality they should expect!

A lot of actors, the stuff they do, it doesn't end up on youtube or look very good. And you can be in a lot of things and still not have anything to show off your acting online. So if you can give them that, it may be of value to them.

I also used a mailing list from DC that a lot of actors subscribe to. I had much more luck with that than craigslist.

Hi Rukia. Many actors will help with student projects for low to no cost. Covering gas and providing food for long shoots is ALWAYS appreciated. Gas costs depend on where you're located. If you're in a large city, often you don't have that issue. If your in a smaller community college, you may need to expect some minor expense. It also depends on the length of the shoot. If you can shoot it all in one weekend, that's not as much an issue as multiple weekends or a week. It also depends on your project's appeal. If you have a festival worthy piece or something that's fun and appealing, you're more likely to attract actors than a class exhibit. Also provide IMDb credit. Many actors will work cheaply or for free if they get some benefit, which can be credit.

Don't be biased against non-theatrical actors. You'll be surprised at the available talent. Often non-trained actors are more eager and adaptable than 'pros' who can be resistant to a director's guidance. Some just want experience or be part of a film. You can often pull great performances from such actors.

Know the audition listing sites in your region and state. Craigslist's tv/film/radio, crew and talent sections are quick sites to post. Your state film office (and often large cities have their own film offices) often has a casting site. Good luck.

Hi Rukia. Many actors will help with student projects for low to no cost. Covering gas and providing food for long shoots is ALWAYS appreciated. Gas costs depend on where you're located. If you're in a large city, often you don't have that issue. If your in a smaller community college, you may need to expect some minor expense. It also depends on the length of the shoot. If you can shoot it all in one weekend, that's not as much an issue as multiple weekends or a week. It also depends on your project's appeal. If you have a festival worthy piece or something that's fun and appealing, you're more likely to attract actors than a class exhibit. Also provide IMDb credit. Many actors will work cheaply or for free if they get some benefit, which can be credit.

Don't be biased against non-theatrical actors. You'll be surprised at the available talent. Often non-trained actors are more eager and adaptable than 'pros' who can be resistant to a director's guidance. Some just want experience or be part of a film. You can often pull great performances from such actors.

Know the audition listing sites in your region and state. Craigslist's tv/film/radio, crew and talent sections are quick sites to post. Your state film office (and often large cities have their own film offices) often has a casting site. Good luck.

Thank you, much appreciated!

You should consider a job in politics. The ability to answer a question without answering it is a skill of value in politics. In film making, not so much.

What's spending a lot of money? Or was that you attempting to say you're only willing to pay for gas and food?

Hope you're not in a hurry for an answer. At this rate...

So I've been told lol Essentially, that was my nice way of saying I could more easily afford paying for gas and food for talent rather than if they were to charge a flat rate or any type of fee for the required days they will be on set. I've heard you can pay talent in experience rather than monetary means, but I personally feel I might need something more enticing when taking this into consideration so that my talent would be even more motivated to work. Esp. if it happens to be a long day. But I suppose, that is when the actual project interest comes into play and the talent's own personal sense of responsibility and integrity. At this point it might just be luck of the draw, but I would be more at peace if I could develop a formula of sorts when casting talent so that I just don't leave it up to chance.

lol, she returns ;)

I've heard you can pay talent in experience rather than monetary means, but I personally feel I might need something more enticing when taking this into consideration so that my talent would be even more motivated to work.

It depends on who you're trying to get. If you're talking professionals (and you're an amateur), you're not going to get them excited by offering a learning experience. You'll need to pay them.

It's a whole quid pro quo thing. Give and take. If you want something, you're going to have to give something. If you're only able to offer experience, you're only going to be able to attract those who find that worthwhile. It's really that simple.

Seasoned professionals look at the money as their quid pro quo. Some take into consideration future prospects and future work too.

If you can only afford expenses and food, then you're essentially looking at people who are trying to break into the industry and students. Promote/ask in places where these people can be found in your area.

Back