Camera Knowledge: Fill in the cracks

I have made many home videos/short films. All of them done with an old Sony camcorder/handycam. DCR-SR40. About 7 years old?
I have recently become pretty serious about making films, so I need to upgrade to a more professional camera. While I need good recommendations for low budget cameras that are professional, what I truly need is to know much much more about everything there is to know about cameras.

I'm talking about getting serious schooling on the technical stuff. I know what I want in terms of picture quality, style and what not, but without knowing what specs and features my choice of camera must have to satisfy my needs, there's no way I can pick the right one.

Things like focus, lighting, exposure, macro, lenses, aperture, departure, arrivals and connecting flights are all among the long list of things I need to learn about. Joking about random airport terminalogy (lol an other, sorry). Also need to know what each of those do, and how they change/improve the picture.

So if anyone can please refer me to any sites, vids; a good source of info where these technical things are crammed together for an amateur like myself, I'd appreciate it. :yes:
And please don't just say youtube, or "google it!" I've figured that much. Done it, and now I'm here, writing this.

For anyone interested in a bit of personal narrative, read on...

I want a lens/feature on my new cam that can get extremely close to an object, :weird: and stay in focus.
I want a DSLR that is also great for film making, but if having that dual luxury drags my chances at a great low budget filming cam down, then nvm.
I want wide frame shots (doesn't everyone?).
I do not need the stabilization feature, unless any pro says I do need it.

Try nofilmschool.com, and indie mogul on youtube. They have tons of info. If there is a community college near you, you should look into an introductory photography class. In my opinion, you should spend your money at this point on lighting and audio. When it comes to the image, the single most important aspect is lighting. When it comes to the experience, audio is king. Most people will be much more forgiving of a marginal image with good sound than a good image with marginal sound. Remember that DVD quality is only 480P (SD). Until your camera becomes the limiting factor in your films (everything else is very good to excellent) or you are filming for BluRay/theatrical distribution, I would spend my money improving everything else before the camera body. Also keep in mind that you buy camera bodies but invest in glass (lenses).

Last edited:
Dude, I know exactly the website you're looking for. Check this one out, it's pretty sweet.

It's like youtube, except with less cat videos. It's also like google, except you'll actually be able to interact with real people, who are willing to answer your questions.

Yeah, I'm being a smartass, but I'm not being a smartass. What you needed was there, all along, Dorothy. :)

Back