Price Drop On RED Cameras!!!

Over the weekend all 3 of the red cameras dropped in price!

The Biggest drop was from the RED ONE
red-one.jpg

PRICE: $4,000 (Originally $25,000) They used this baby to shoot the FOX TV show Louie!!!

The second biggest was the RED EPIC-X
epic-x.jpg

PRICE: $19,000 (Originally $34,500) The Red Epic has been used to shoot various movies like The Hobbit, The Amazing Spiderman, Chasing Mavericks, and many more!

The last price drop was on the RED SCARLET
Camera-Review-Red-Scarlet-X-G.jpg

PRICE: $7,950 (Originally $9,700) This camera takes 5K pictures and 4K video!

Overall I am very excited about this price drop. Although these price drops are for the brain of the camera only it does make it slightly more affordable to get a RED Camera. I think it should also lower the prices of some DSLRs because they want to stay competitive. (The Canon 5D Mark III is only $500 cheaper than the RED ONE) I am defiantely going to try to get one soon. And who knows they might come out with more price drops a little later!

I thought the initial price was good... especially considering the market they had entered stared around $60k for film cameras... this is shockingly low.

Considering the price for a Varicam is still listed at $59k, and these cameras give you more than double the resolution and colour information, with a cinema PL mount for <half that...

Apart from the fact that you're only really buying a body, and still need to pony up for everything else to actually make it a workable camera.

Brain + touchscreen + SSD module + REDmags + Magreader + V-mount adapter + batteries + charger.

It's not so much the accesories, it's more the fact that RED sell you a brain that cannot be used to shoot a single thing without spending more money.
Camera are often sold as bodies, but they generally come with some sort of card module and viewfinder. Not to mentoin the fact that RED charge $1600 just for the touchscreen. Side SSD module runs you $1500

The 'media pack' which consists of one REDmag and a reader costs $975. V-Mount adapter costs you $500+
There's $4500 on top of your brain price, and you still don't have the batteries themselves or a charger...

That's not to say it isn't still cheap, just don't get sucked into the trap of 'oh wow the Scarlet brain is <$8k' because you'll still be spending $5k+ extra just to get it up and running.

Brain + touchscreen + SSD module + REDmags + Magreader + V-mount adapter + batteries + charger.

It's not so much the accesories, it's more the fact that RED sell you a brain that cannot be used to shoot a single thing without spending more money.
Camera are often sold as bodies, but they generally come with some sort of card module and viewfinder. Not to mentoin the fact that RED charge $1600 just for the touchscreen. Side SSD module runs you $1500

The 'media pack' which consists of one REDmag and a reader costs $975. V-Mount adapter costs you $500+
There's $4500 on top of your brain price, and you still don't have the batteries themselves or a charger...

That's not to say it isn't still cheap, just don't get sucked into the trap of 'oh wow the Scarlet brain is <$8k' because you'll still be spending $5k+ extra just to get it up and running.

SSD Module, Side Handle and Card Reader are obvious tho!

I've got the EPIC with Side SSD and Canon Mount + PL Mount, Touch Screen, 4 x 128GB Redmags, Red Station and Red Touch in the shopping basket, looking to buy it around february - april.

I've already got some V Mount batteries and a charger, so the investment for the package above will be £17.000. That being said, stuff like the side handle can be purchased later.

Initially I wanted to buy the Scarlet package, but the EPIC is just so much better. 5K at up to 120fps in WS mode. Plus the Dragon Sensor is only supposed to be 6.000 US when it comes out. Makes more sense to buy an epic now and then upgrade to dragon for 6k than buy a scarlet and spend about the same price again on the dragon sensor. Even more probably!

Phil aren't you only 16 or 17? :o I'm 18 and am years off anything Red, and all I really spend my money on is film equipment. Don't even have a car yet

It's an investment for 2013. I do have enough money for a Scarlet package, but buying an EPIC will be a better investment in the years to come, due to the dragon.

Yes I am 17 now, but I've made loads of money through selling my timelapse stuff to big companies, thus I can invest in more stuff :)

You forgot lenses... but you'd have to buy stuff to go with the varicam as well... it really is an apples to apples comparison. They didn't rewrite the book on how to sell a camera, they rewrote the pricing expectations of professionals for it. No professional wants to be told how to outfit their camera, they have their own preferred methods of doing everything. Selling an all in one package doesn't work for the target audience. Selling the main component allows the Camera Dep't to add on all of the stuff they want, same as they've been doing for a hundred years with film. The actual camera is just the gear mechanism and housing.

Example... Here's a pic from Phillip Bloom's blog (used without permission) from shooting "Red Tails" for Lucas Film -- note the tiny little $3k camera in the middle of that rig:

DSC00672.jpg

SSD Module, Side Handle and Card Reader are obvious tho!
Maybe to anyone working in the industry. I'm talking more people who have in the past spent ~$10k for a Z1 for their wedding business or event videography business, who look at the Scarlet for <$8k and get caught up in 'upgrading their equipment' and moving the business in an new direction without realising that the RED is a completely different type of camera, and that you'll need to invest an extra $5k+ to get it working.

The same kind of people who have never shot anything before but want to get into filmmaking, and look at buying a Blackmagic Cinema Camera because '2.5k raw for $2.5k!! OMG' as if that's going to make their movies suddenly look they were shot by Roger Deakins.
As I said, I'm not disputing the fact that it's cheaper at all.

I've already got some V Mount batteries and a charger, so the investment for the package above will be £17.000. That being said, stuff like the side handle can be purchased later.
With the lower prices, you're essentially getting an extra accessory or so for 'free' which is great.

Initially I wanted to buy the Scarlet package, but the EPIC is just so much better. 5K at up to 120fps in WS mode. Plus the Dragon Sensor is only supposed to be 6.000 US when it comes out. Makes more sense to buy an epic now and then upgrade to dragon for 6k than buy a scarlet and spend about the same price again on the dragon sensor. Even more probably!
To be 100% honest, speaking from extensive experience using both cameras:
IMHO, the Epic is not worth triple the price of the Scarlet. Especially once the new sensor comes out. Take it as you will, but they're almost identical. The Epic has one or two little features over the Scarlet, but nothing (IMO) worth an extra $11,000 - $16,000.
Unless all of your work requires you to do slow-mo stuff..

But then, I also think that investing in cameras is a false economy, and that you should only invest in a camera if you have the work lined up to use it and pay for it - IMO, using a camera to sell yourself ends up being just that. You're selling the camera, not yourself as a DP.
But that's a different discussion, and I'm not trying to suggest you'd be buying an Epic for any reason, let alone any that I've stated :)

You forgot lenses... but you'd have to buy stuff to go with the varicam as well...
My point is more that even an Alexa comes with a viewfinder and a card slots. I have nothing against RED as a brand (though I find their cameras to be temperamental at the best of times) and nothing really against their pricing structure.. If anything I have something against their marketing wording, or more the words that people tend to throw around the internet like '4k raw for $8k!'. Yeah, that's technically true, assuming you've already bought into the RED ecosystem, and own accessories that you can transfer over from your Epic. But how many people that they're targetting with the Scarlet are already invested in an Epic...? And of those, how many people are looking to swap their SSD modules and side handles every time they swap brains?

Selling an all in one package doesn't work for the target audience. Selling the main component allows the Camera Dep't to add on all of the stuff they want, same as they've been doing for a hundred years with film. The actual camera is just the gear mechanism and housing.
I agree with you, mostly, when talking about the Epic, though I'd add that most productions don't swap out their viewfinders because htey like x one better, they only do that these days because DSLR and RED shooting forces you to. And in reality, RED is forcing you into purchasing their own touchscreen, otheriwse you're forced to control the camera via a confusing and difficult to use REDmote or Side handle.

Example... Here's a pic from Phillip Bloom's blog (used without permission) from shooting "Red Tails" for Lucas Film -- note the tiny little $3k camera in the middle of that rig:
I'm not disagreeing that productions don't pony up for extra accessories and different rigs. Just that most camera 'bodies' come with the basics of being able to shoot. Buy an Alexa, whack on a lens, slot in a card and plug it into power and you can shoot straight away. Buy an Epic or a Scarlet, and you then have to also buy a side SSD module. And then their proprietary SSD drives. And then their proprietary card reader. And then their proprietary touchscreen. And then you can whack on a lens, slot in a card, plug into power and start shooting.

Even film camera bodies came with mags and ground glass.

I'll also add: how much of the Scarlet target market is used to buying a complete array of accessories to get their cameras shooting?

Last edited:
It's an investment for 2013. I do have enough money for a Scarlet package, but buying an EPIC will be a better investment in the years to come, due to the dragon.

Yes I am 17 now, but I've made loads of money through selling my timelapse stuff to big companies, thus I can invest in more stuff :)

Well that's awesome for you :D I'm somewhat jealous :cool:

Jax_Rox, you wouldn't believe how much more work you get when you work on a corporate level and sell yourself plus RED camera package. It's sad, but true that you get heaps of more work.

You say with the new sensor the price difference isn't worth it anymore? Well, the EPIC will get the Dragon for around 6k. Scarlet users will have to pay the price difference to match up to the EPIC, because the new sensor basically gives you an EPIC in a scarlet body...

The EPIC is one of those things that needs light. If you light for the RED EPIC, you will get such an incredibly beautiful image, but if you don't it just ends up noisy and yucky.

Back