• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Trunk Fiction

I thank you for the positive comments, Loyfilms, however...

constructive criticism should only be given where it's due

...I do not agree with this.

Knowing why something didn't work is far more valuable than just knowing that it didn't.

A few people above mentioned that they felt the actors delivered the dialogue in a "flat" and "stilted" fashion. That's something I can then look at. As it turns out, I agree with their judgement. Since both actors are coming by today to ADR anyway, I've been able to talk to them and give them a chance to rehearse a few variations of the take. I have been able to fix a problem.

A few other people mentioned that they felt the acting was coming across as stiff, with the long pauses I had them take. Once again, that is something I can work with. I was able to look at what they were talking about and make any changes based on their feedback. As it happens, I also agreed that (while it seemed a good idea at the time) the pauses were far too long and handicapping the actors. A few timeline edits in Premiere and I had improved the situation... with the new cut uploaded for a new assessment.

Those are two examples from this thread alone, where boardmembers have been generous enough to say what they did not like... and why. In both situations I have been able to make improvements, since I then knew exactly what they were talking about.

It's a lot more difficult to do the same with generic, blanket statements. Clearly you think the actors blow... but why? Is it something I can fix in an edit? Does one of them have bad breath? Are they ugly? They should have been speaking in French accents, whilst wearing berets?

Maybe it's not even the actors themselves, and it's director himself who needs a suggestion on how to have made it work better? (This is actually a possibility, as they delieverd it all pretty much spot-on as how I wanted them to do it)

Even if it's not something I can fix with an edit this time around, just knowing what to keep an eye out for next time around is invaluable in itself.

After all, this is a filmmaking board... not some 'net entertainment portal like IFilm, or the like. If you have to get a little "eloquent" in why the actors didn't work, I would hope you would do so. It's certainly something I would read and consider... I've already demonstrated that I listen to what my peers have to say, and have made decisions about re-edits based upon their input.

Even better than breaking down the "why they didn't work" into details, is possibly offering a different take on how it might have worked. :)

Anyways, I've rambled on long enough.

Cheers,
Steve.

Actually, I always look forward to getting constructive critisicm. It's my favorite part to see how people react. It's always a learning experience, and you can only get better if people are honest and precise in thier critiques.
Getting a "My vaccuum called, it wants it's sucking back" comment only hurts people's feelings! If you can properly explain WHY your vaccuum has access to a telephone and HOW it lost it's suction, then everybody wins!
I can't wait to get critiques on my entry to the contest here... hopefully they are harsh, there's no way I'll give up, so I might as well get a good punch to better my tolerance!

-Spickula-

Spatula said:
Getting a "My vaccuum called, it wants it's sucking back" comment only hurts people's feelings! If you can properly explain WHY your vaccuum has access to a telephone and HOW it lost it's suction, then everybody wins!
:rofl: perfect!

It's important to remember that this is a board of filmmakers helping filmmakers. Films are not posted here for Ebert style reviews. Films are posted here to get feedback from other filmmakers.

Poke

Hey Steve, I never meant any disrespect. I had already read the thread and felt there wasn't anything more to say about why the acting was bad, I just simply agreed with them without using the phrase "I agree with the previous postings"

Anyway, let's move on

Great film! I have nothing to add in terms of criticism that hasn't been said already, but I just wanted to say that I enjoyed watching it.

No worries, Loyfilms :)

It's actually a one gallon jug of hot-sauce, Mr Fish. That's something else I learned... all shades of red came out rather dull & muted (and a lot darker) on K-40 film. It's something I'll be watching for, next Super-8 flick. :cool:

I had several layers of plastic sheeting inside the trunk, then loaded up the groceries on that... poured half a gallon of hot-sauce all over the place, then buried the rest of the jug in the middle. It was tilted to keep pouring out when in place. (and after it was all removed, the only stain I found was the size of dime) :yes:

Thanks for all the comments, people. I'm happy that you have taken the time to watch.

Oh... and the new new cut (with ADR'd dialogue) will be up this coming Sunday.

Okies, re-edited original post to pop in the latest incarnation... which has the cleaned-up sound. :cool:

Thanks one and all, for the suggestions on how to improve it... and what to keep in mind for the next time.

:P

I should have a DVD for you by this weekend, good sir... including the raw 'cines footage.

Good for the reel, etc. :cool:

Back