• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

DOC: Retirement Home (Indiegogo campaign)

Hi guys,

This is a documentary that I started to work on 4 years ago, when I was 23 years old. It took various detours but it's now in the final stages of the editing.
I shot it, directed it, did the direct sound, edited it, color graded it.. The only work so far did in the film besides mine was by the music composer, Pedro Gaspar.

Hope you like it: http://igg.me/at/retirementhomefilm/x/4192945

Status of the indiegogo campaign, other funding and some reminiscences

Indiegogo campaign: http://igg.me/at/retirementhomefilm/x/4192945 (37%) - 7 days to the end of the crowdfunding

I'm now in talks with two companies to support the film and waiting for their response.
I need more than the 1000€ that I'm asking in the Indiegogo campaign: the budget spent solely on the film will be around 2600€ ($3600).
1000€ for the sound mix (an estimate) + 1600€ for the soundtrack (composition, recording and mixing).

Which is not a lot given that this is a feature film!
But considering the time that it took and to shoot, to edit, to produce and do other jobs in order to buy the equipment (see post above). I did an estimation the other day:
40 hours per week x 52 weeks x 4 years = 8320 hours

Let's imagine I'd receive 1000€ per month for making this film. Around 6€ per hour.
Which is the average that a freelance cameramen or filmmaker with a constant workflow makes in Portugal.

8320 x 6 = 49.920€

49.920€ or $68.966

That's the amount of money that ideally I'd need to make to compensate me for all the time I spent working in this film. Will I make it? I doubt it very very much...
And my movie is great, I know that. But there was probably 1 or 2 documentaries in the last 10 years in Portugal that made that kind of money.

The other day a moderator here in DVXuser advised me to speak about the difficulties of making this film.
And I thought to myself that "I'd need to write a book to explain all the crap that I had to endure to make this film!". Maybe someday I will because I need to take that out of my system!

This film started as a commission from an association in the town where the film was done. They wanted me to do an institutional documentary about that association, it's history, workers, etc.
They paid no money but would buy some equipment to make it: an iMac 27', the Panasonic HDC HS300, a cheap Hama tripod and a cheap microphone.
I was 23 at that time. I had just come from Amsterdam where I worked as a scheduler for MGM Central Europe and I wanted to take any chance I could to work in the area.

I started recording everything I could (they have 3 clinics, a pharmacy...) but I was always inclined to their retirement home. I think that in the second or third month I thought "Ok, I could use this equipment they gave me and try to make an artistic documentary."
In that process I thought that the camera they gave me wasn't good enough and I'd have to buy better one.

At first I considered to buy a Canon that I can't recall, but then I started considering the AF101.
A lot because of a video that I found from Bob Gundu, with the Voigtlander 25mm. This one: https://vimeo.com/27936794
The image had the kind of shallow depth that I was looking for and I found the video very cinematic.

I started shooting in October of 2012. It took me about three days to find the right picture profile for the AF100.
If you want to know it please PM me so I can send it to you. It's kind of a secret recipe...
At first I considered to do a few interviews and I did some with some elders but I wasn't liking the way they were turning out so I decided for the film to be direct style documentarism only.

My job was basically the same as one of a fisherman or a hunter. Sometimes I had to wait for the right moments to shoot to happen and I waited. Other times I had to go find them, run after them so I could capture them without them getting away.
I searched for moments that could serve as representation of what it's life in that retirement home, of how it's like to be an older person living in Portugal and how it's like to be an older person in general.

It took me 6 months to shoot, I had days that I shot maybe 4 or 5 hours of footage. Sometimes takes would last 1 or 2 hours. Sometimes they would be fast paced so I could catch different reactions to one particular event.
The worst part was the editing. Besides the really slow paced of some moments I think I had to become an elder myself to try for the film to have some kind of truth.

It's been a year since I started editing and the film had inumerous versions and changes since I got to the 1st version, which was 5 months ago.
The film still needs some work to be polished but I think I'm close.

Last edited:
Back