• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Unaware that I'm in a Horror Film

All critique is welcome wasn't singling you out I just thought it was a little funny that this was getting so much critique, I consider it more like a band's demo, anticipating the album... since he did it to get back in the game, for fun... if u know what I mean. :)

Ah, right. I guess I saw it more as analysis instead of critique. It was coming from a good place. He's certainly back in the game again, dis is hilarias. I see a lot of work here just in the writing, unless it's easy for mm to come up with jokes left & right. Although now I am remembering he wrote great stuff in the production jokes thread :)

Thanks for the feedback and positivity :) I didn't interpret anyone's comments as scrutiny (wouldn't mind it even if it was)

Another bit of trivia if this interests you, a large portion of this was improvised... is that and my procrastination psychologically connected?

I kept myself at different distances when dubbing. I still don't think it sounds perfect, but it's better than the production sound.

yeah you did a pretty good job with dubbing, not saying its poor, and probably better ADR than a vast number of indie shorts, and no doubt it sounds better than the production audio from set

Thanks for the feedback and positivity I didn't interpret anyone's comments as scrutiny (wouldn't mind it even if it was)
Ah that's good.
Another bit of trivia if this interests you, a large portion of this was improvised... is that and my procrastination psychologically connected?
That Is interesting. I've heard there's a lot of improv on Judd Apatow's films, but they know the structure of the scene, so they can veer off & they know they have to come back somehow so it can connect to the next part of the story. Is this why yours works?
I don't know if the improv & procrastination are connected. Why do You think you procrastinated?

Very interesting.
mussonman, I wonder if you could post a short video clip with the original sound? It might be nice to have a comparison. If you don't mind.

anzel2002, do you think the tone of his voice does not match the room? Is there a way to fix that without re-recording?
I'm having to do some ADR too & trying to figure out some stuff.

buscando, I don't mean the tone of his voice, per se, but more how he sounds in the room he is in,
think of a gym, a kitchen , a bathroom, hallway etc,
how they all sound different when you are in them and when you are speaking,
they all have different delay, echo, etc, so your ADR has to match the sound of the place you are in,
in the movie,
like, the OP, is in a basement, so he has to match how a basement would sound, with low ceilings, unfinished floor etc,

probably some tips for your ADR, would be, don't be too close to the mic, too many people do this when they do ADR, and it does not sound natural,
when you are on set, the mic is not right near, or in front of your mouth,
and your acting has to match what you did on set too,
ADR is a pretty difficult thing to get right and make invisible,

That Is interesting. I've heard there's a lot of improv on Judd Apatow's films, but they know the structure of the scene, so they can veer off & they know they have to come back somehow so it can connect to the next part of the story. Is this why yours works?

Mine works because of the UCB improv method called "game of the scene." Whether each moment is funny or not is subjective, but this guarantees a structure AND a general guide on how to keep building comedy upon the premise you find.

There's nothing worse than aimless improv. You have to know what you're doing

Why do You think you procrastinated?

Cuz I'm a shithead

Mine works because of the UCB improv method called "game of the scene." Whether each moment is funny or not is subjective, but this guarantees a structure AND a general guide on how to keep building comedy upon the premise you find.
Good info to know.
Cuz I'm a shithead
haha maybe you were dreading the amount of work involved.

think of a gym, a kitchen , a bathroom, hallway etc, how they all sound different when you are in them and when you are speaking,
they all have different delay, echo, etc, so your ADR has to match the sound of the place you are in,
in the movie, like, the OP, is in a basement, so he has to match how a basement would sound, with low ceilings, unfinished floor etc...
ADR is a pretty difficult thing to get right and make invisible
Thanks a lot for the info. Do you think maybe adjusting the dialog with some Echo & Reverb filters in the editing program could help? Or maybe adding a bit more room tone? I'm not saying mussonman should do this (the sound didn't really bother me) I'm just asking to apply it to what I'm working on.

It seems pretty tough to get it right & make it invisible. Just have to study more audio in movies & play around with it I guess. Do you also try to get another knowledgeable person to listen to it?

Thanks a lot for the info. Do you think maybe adjusting the dialog with some Echo & Reverb filters in the editing program could help? Or maybe adding a bit more room tone? I'm not saying mussonman should do this (the sound didn't really bother me) I'm just asking to apply it to what I'm working on.

It seems pretty tough to get it right & make it invisible. Just have to study more audio in movies & play around with it I guess. Do you also try to get another knowledgeable person to listen to it?

Yw, yeah there is a pretty cool software plug in called alti verb, i believe, and it has a vast number of presets that try to emulate all kinds of spaces, bathrooms, cars, living rooms hall ways,etc, almost any space you may ever need they probably have in the software,
its not perfect but it may help in some situations,

yeah ADR is pretty tough to make seamless, in a movie, but a vast number of movies mainly use it in action scenes etc, that have a bunch of noise while filming, like big fans and machinery etc,

yeah just keep watching and studying movies and eventually you will be able to hear and see it,and pick up on it, and probably they usually wouldn't do a whole scene like the OP scene in a movie,
they would almost certainly capture sound in a scene like that on set,

but I once heard Crispin Glover tell a story of how he was sick some days on BTTF, and they did ADR, on a normal looking dialogue scene, not sure what scene he is referring to, but it would be interesting to find out, but which ever scene it was, it is probably very seamless,

Learning the hear whether or not something was ADR will waste the experience of watching movies.
If it is done badly, you'll notice. Then it can be usefull to study it and wonder why you noticed.
If it is done well enough, you won't notice it.

Scrutinize your own work, but I would not be able to enjoy movies if I'd do the same with everything I watch. (Unless when asked for feedback.)

This was great. It reminds me of Bugs Bunny cartoons.

It made me laugh because it was funny. That should be your big take away.

Back