How can I improve my 1 minute film for uni?

Hey guys,

I've got a 1 minute film Uni assignment due next Friday and I was hoping you could give me some tips for improving it in post-production before then. I edit in Final Cut Pro X.

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7twgSlXlDc&fmt=22

Also, could you give your interpretation of the story/ themes? It's deliberately open-ended and I'd like to see how people view it through their personal lenses.

Thanks in advance :)

i dont think the sound was great to be honest, well the only thing that put me off noticably was some cutting noise or chopping noise, the image quality was good (special love for 550/600d users) but at some points there was distortion of the image where it was too windy maybe you put on a warp stabilizer or stabilisation in fcpx?

anyway where the sun was by the side of her face i would have put in a lens flare, I also would have put maybe some vignetting but thats personal preference.

there wasnt alot wrong with it just that it was windy as hell and the shots were shaky but hey beggers cant be choosers.

that was my thought on it anyway

All the sound was done in post. So what would you recommend changing about it?

Unfortunately don't have the time to reshoot :/ is there anyway to stabilise the images with less distortion?

I've got a 1 minute film Uni assignment due next Friday
Hope the one minute doesn't include credits when the audio is still rolling.
Would be helpful if you posted the exact directions given for the assignment.

and I was hoping you could give me some tips for improving it in post-production before then.
Not much anyone can do in post.
Destaurate it so that the blowouts aren't so obvious?
Do some monster tweaking with the hues?
I dunno.

Wind's a b!tch on light sticks and camera setups.
Gotta tighten everything down, hold it yourself pretty good, and a sandbag or two doesn't hurt.

Otherwise, it looks pretty good to me. You captured some nice images and framing.

Also, could you give your interpretation of the story/ themes?
Naveling/traumatized girl/young woman. Boy/young man navels behind her. Hollow wind noise.
She has a bruised eye, (decent bruise makeup, BTW.)
Title "SISTERLY", it jiggles. Wind noise escalates.
Cue gulls and lonely guitar. She ponders two photos in album, first a girl and toddler brother, then a boy on a bed. What the boy/young man in the image is doing is indeterminable. Could be sleeping. Could be dead.
Startled, she turns to look behind her, then turns to rapidly put down the album beside her, then retrieves from her purse/bag a rolled up cloth/towel. Cue eerie tone, faded sirens perhaps in memory along with what sounds like an argument with a male, SNITCH! Audio cuts.
Reveal semi-clean knife in the bloody cloth/towel. Someone bites an apple? Breaks a knee joint open through cartilage and ligaments? Breaks open a crab shell?
Cut to waves rushing over shore stones.
Credits.

I dunno.
She killed/injured/defended herself from a brother (Sisterly) or her father/uncle/family male (defending a sister.)

It's deliberately open-ended and I'd like to see how people view it through their personal lenses.
Yep.
It's fairly open.

Looks pretty, tho.

All the sound was done in post. So what would you recommend changing about it?

Unfortunately don't have the time to reshoot :/ is there anyway to stabilise the images with less distortion?

You can always try to stabilize your footage by using the stabilizer in After Effects (if you have it ofc.). I haven't used many other programs so I don't really know if you can do it on other programs.

The shot in about 0:31 - 0:35 could be smoother by using a crane / dolly / other equipment. You can build one yourself if it's a low / no budget.

And the sound can never be saved if it fails in the shoot. That's why it's very important to notice the sound while shooting. You can save it sometimes in the post but it's very hard and sometimes you just can't.

Though it's a nice movie. Need a little hand still. Keep up the good work man.

I thought it was about a young woman who had killed someone who had abused her (perhaps the person behind her), and was remembering the time she had spent with that person. I like that there are loose ends, it was much creepier not knowing what exactly was going on. I liked it.

I would adjust the amount of stabilization, do some serious color correction, maybe take out all of the ambience audio and sound effects, and just have music. Despite the flaws, I enjoyed it.

Audio seemed good to me Couldn't find anything distorted about it. it was mostly music and tension music and waves and what not. Only hard part to hear was when she was sitting and it was a close up and you can hear some sort of sound that sounds like a guy begging or something. It sounded cool because it added to the mystery of what happened. But even that didn't sound distorted.

I would add more blood but hey hahaha thats me. maybe like some organ left overs on that knife and a close up of the guy in the background.

The shakiness of the camera when she grabs the knife is great, it adds to the situation that something is up.

Back