• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch My first short film please tell me hat you think

Well, some dialogue was improvised. My influences, I don't think I had any for this film but for overall, I'm inspired by Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez, and Kevin Smith flicks.

Honest opinion, it was alright for your first.

My main problem with it was that it didn't hold my attention very well. It doesn't feel like anything really happens. I feel it is hard to justify 10 minutes with the content of the video.

I also wasn't impressed with the audio quality; what did you use to record it?

I think the story is lacking, but what could have made it better is having much better dialogue. Tarantino is pretty legendary for his dialogue, so for him to be an influence of yours I would think you wouldn't want to slump in this area.

I'll chime in here because we're shooting something similar this year, if I can find the perfect prop car. I'm a sucker for "Odd Couple" duos bumbling through scenery while bickering all the way. Volleys of witty jabs and one-liners mixed with dime store philosophical rants tend to put a smile on my face, assuming the actors know their craft and the writing is polished. THE TRIP http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740047/ with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon managed to pull this off in its own way.

That said, I didn't get all the way through your movie. Why? The audio quality was dismal, the dialog seemed uninspired, and the shot compositions didn't grab me. Sorry man.

It's your first short film, so no one is expecting a masterpiece and I won't fault you for putting your efforts out there. My first films weren't anything to write home about. Come to think of it they were pretty terrible!

The good thing is: you got actors together, shot the shots, cut it up, and put in on YouTube for the world to see. Now the game is to do that over and over and over for the next few years to learn your craft, find your voice, and tell great stories.

Keep writing and shooting!

My audio sucked because I had so much audio problems while shooting and plus I didn't know anything about audio and how to capture good audio either. Also, my shots we're bad because it was my first time using a DSLR and I had no clue what I was doing with it. And my shot types were bad because I had no time to do multiple set ups and I was so tired that, day that I was too lazy to experiment or try any new shots or set ups. And even if I would've gotten good shots, I was too lazy in editing to treat it as a craft it is. On my next short, I plan to be better. But this is my first and because of that, I've learned a lot. And I plan to learn more. Thanks for everyone's feedback. It really has been helping me.

That's the right attitude, Lethal. :yes: Just gotta get back up on the horse and improve as you go. It's all about learning by doing, and you're doing, what will be the first of many. As I can speak from experience, try not to let the opinions of others (good, bad or indifferent) cloud or diminish your drive to make the movies you want to make. Your next film will be all the better for it. Cheers!

I may be in the minority, but to be honest for a first film, I see a lot of potential. I dont know why everyone is saying the acting was terrible. To me the acting was the best part. Yes, the dialogue could have been improved a lot, but I would have killed to have acting that good on my first short film. Idk I guess I liked it a lot more than other people here.

The down sides are yes it was pretty drawn out and tough to keep my attention, and yes the audio was really lacking. But overall I thought it was great for a first time film. Man, my first film was trash lol and way way worse than this one. I'd just say work on your cutting, dialogue, audio, and shot structure and you're starting to look nice. But of course, this is not done over night :)

Back