• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch New short, what do you think?

Pretty good overall! It was funny. Some things to watch as you proceed with future projects:

Try to avoid the zoom feature. All it truly does is blow up the pixels to make the image larger, and doesn't actually manipulate the lens size. Obviously for comedic elements, things of that nature, it can be an aesthetic choice, just make sure you are aware that it adds that element before trying it in a drama, etc.

Also, check your focus. I only caught it in one spot, and that was the second shot I believe. The CU shot of the soldier was out of focus and blurry. Just double check it before running the shot.

The last thing I caught was the mic in shot @ 3:05. Not sure if that was intentional or not?

Other than that, pretty solid work. Good editing, and a clever use of manipulating everyday objects and the sound to pull off a short.

Keep it up!

Try to avoid the zoom feature. All it truly does is blow up the pixels to make the image larger, and doesn't actually manipulate the lens size. Obviously for comedic elements, things of that nature, it can be an aesthetic choice, just make sure you are aware that it adds that element before trying it in a drama, etc.

Also, check your focus. I only caught it in one spot, and that was the second shot I believe. The CU shot of the soldier was out of focus and blurry. Just double check it before running the shot.

The last thing I caught was the mic in shot @ 3:05. Not sure if that was intentional or not?

Keep it up!

Thanks a ton, you caught a lot of things I did, but when the video was in post production. Thats a good call on the zoom feature, do you not recommend any zoom at all or is there an alternative you would suggest?

The mic, was completely unintentional...lol, I noticed it while editing and was pretty frustrated, but live and learn I guess....

Thanks so much for the constructive criticism!

Personally, I wouldn't use zoom at all (and have been told not to use it in my cinematography classes), unless you are going for a 1970s aesthetic where they used zooms a ton. Plus, as I said, it only blows up the pixels in the frame, giving you a distorted image that wont be crystal sharp. If you want to get the same effect, but still retain image quality, and a more cinematic feel, then use a dolly.

When doing a dolly-push-in (where the camera is physically rolled forward), you manipulate your depth of field, giving it a completely different, yet true feeling, of the camera moving through the space, where as just zooming will compress the depth, making the image appear somewhat flat.

An example of a dolly push in is here in my most recent film (starting at 3:15): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymKX_k6LHIM

And honestly, most people probably won't catch the mic lol. I only caught it because I was constantly scanning the frame. I've done it before too (more than once I'm afraid). Worse for me though, I was doing a film set in the 1860s and dead center between my actors was a plastic Dasani bottle! And only two people have found it thus far in the shot lol. So you just have to keep an eye out for things like that. It's easy to forget when you have a hundred other things running through your mind on set.

One thing I noticed that you did particularly well with is your sound editing. Most films I see, and even some of my early ones, don't "L" cut the sound which allows the audio captured on the previous shot to roll into the next shot before you switch to the audio for that shot (hope that makes sense). The result of not doing that allows you to hear the edit where you sometimes get popping and clicking, and a change in frequency when the shots alternate. I did not hear that with your film, so great job with that! Sound and audio play a huge role in making film seem professional.

Definitely keep on making films, you will grow leaps and bounds with every one!

When doing a dolly-push-in (where the camera is physically rolled forward), you manipulate your depth of field, giving it a completely different, yet true feeling, of the camera moving through the space, where as just zooming will compress the depth, making the image appear somewhat flat.

An example of a dolly push in is here in my most recent film (starting at 3:15): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymKX_k6LHIM

Ok, i understand better now....use an optical zoom to fram the shot, but the camera movement will illustrate the depth of the shot more. That is a very good tip. Thank you, what might you do about vertical shots, or places a dolly may not reach (woods, off road)?

That's actually a very good question about the vertical shots. I'm actually having to figure that out myself for a new film. I've only had one idea so far that's feasible enough to look good.

My idea is to take two poles, or some kind of rail system, and space them apart, placing the camera on a platform that will allow you to raise and lower it. So essentially, a dolly that is stood on its end straight in the air.

Back