How much should I pay actors for a low budget film for like a week shoot?

I know you get what you pay for but I was just wondering what is reasonable with out offending anybody.

My budget will be around 5,000.00 to 6,000.00

The crew will be working for free accept for the soundman and I will be feeding them to.

I know of some Actors and extras and Models but maybe they will want what I cant pay them I was thinking craiglist.

I’m thinking I just have to find people with the same personality and Character traits as in my screenplay.

I also was thinking doing early morning shoots until 12:00 then I don’t have to feed anybody.

My movie will be about 70min long.

There will be 4 to 5 actors/actresses, I might be doing some acting myself

It might be a week and a half shoot or two weeks.

Last edited:
Work out your budget for food & craft table (be lavish here), expendables (batteries & the like), paying your PSM/Boom-op, props, etc., etc., etc., and subtract from your total budget; don't forget that you'll need lots of storage & back-ups for post. From there figure out your casts approximate transportation costs so you at least cover those, and then you can determine the pay/stipend your cast members will receive.

Work out your budget for food & craft table (be lavish here), expendables (batteries & the like), paying your PSM/Boom-op, props, etc., etc., etc., and subtract from your total budget; don't forget that you'll need lots of storage & back-ups for post. From there figure out your casts approximate transportation costs so you at least cover those, and then you can determine the pay/stipend your cast members will receive.

Thanks! good advice.

Pay them what you can afford within your budget.

Personally, I'd pay everybody, rather than just some people - especially if you expect your crew to run long night shoots without even getting fed.

Feed people would be what I would consider your first priority. Then pay what you can afford.

I agree that feeding your people and having enough water and soft drinks should be your first priority. Alcove already mentioned how to determine how much you could afford to pay the actors. Also, take into account how much your post work will cost.

Back