• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

crime-thriller feature shot in installments

Hey guys, so I wrote a short script that I have already cast and will be shooting in two weeks. The way I want to do this is to shoot and publish the short script (which works on its own) as a standalone short film. Depending on how smoothly the shoot goes, how long it takes to edit, and the audience's receptiveness, I want to write a feature around it.

After the first short is out, I would write and shoot a few more "non-submergible" scenes (published as short films) that work as standalone things but are also pieces of a larger story. By the fourth or fifth short, I'd have enough material to just shoot filler shots and pick-ups, so it feels like a single, seamless film.

Have you ever heard of anyone doing this before? It's a bit like a pilot for a TV show, but instead of starting at the beginning of the story, this short would take place about 3/4 of the way through the feature (but would still make sense on its own).

Any information would be awesome, as I'm relatively new to the whole narrative game.

Back