International (beginner) contests and festivals

Hello everybody,

I'ld like to have an idea of international short film, video, sketch,... contests or festivals out there.

I want to get my productions out there, but I want to be appreciated for my level, in my niveau. I'm an amateur and I can`t compete with professionals or even filmschool students. So I'ld like some contests that have a beginner-niveau.
All I do is completely self-tought, so I'ld really like to put my stuff out there to get some appreciation and critic.
Or do you think it is better to participate in local contests first? I'ld rather first learn more and produce more and better before I show the people I know...

Why does it have to be international then? If you're an 'amateur' perhaps you should start with some local or national festivals. Anything international and you'll be competing with a degree of quality material

I wondered if that is mostly true. I hesitate to participate in local events, because in that case, people I know will critisise me and it won't be as objective as more distant events. At the moment nobody really knows I'm into filmmaking...

So you know everyone in your town/city? And you know everybody in the town/city nearby? When I've entered these for me it's gone as far as meeting most of the other contestants for the first time, let alone the judges and people running it. Now of course I know most of the young people in my town that will enter as that doesn't change too much each year, but certainly before anyone knew I was a film maker I didn't know any of those people.

Why would people criticize you? If its in a good way (constructive) then there's nothing wrong about that, but why would they criticize you badly? Participating in local events means the competitive nature isn't so high AND the bonus is you get to meet other film makes in your area which you could possibly collaborate with in the future

Back