Child Actors

Can anyone talk to me about child actors? I am going to be shooting a short that will hopefully be the prologue for my feature I've been working on...and it involves all children plus or minus ten years old or so.

I imagine it's even more difficult not only to direct children, but simply to find child actors. I'm guessing they will need release forms from their parents and everything, but the scene is supposed to take place at a school playground with many other children in the background (or at least background noise) and 6 actors that would actually have speaking parts / be on camera etc. One of the actors needs to have a good voice too as a small amount of a little more than barely audible singing is required.

I thought about contacting schools rather than rounding up a couple dozen kids and having to talk to all of their parents etc., but I'm not sure how practical either of those options are. Anyways, this doesn't sound like the easiest thing to do for a 5 minute short, but it's necessary. Can anyone give me some advice? Of course, any tips on working with kids in front of the camera too would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Edit: Ha...was just reading my post and realized it didn't convey the message I was trying to. Didn't mean I would just grab any actors for the lead parts...was more interested in the playground scene actually being populated with, you know, kids.

Last edited:
Hey man,

I don't know from child actors, but I just shot a film with a scene in a bar. It was 11:30 in the morning when we did the shoot, and there wasn't anyone else in the establishment (thankfully). To make the bar seem crowded, I got one extra to show up, and placed her strategically in the background (playing darts and then sitting down at the bar). With a semi-crowded bar ambient background noise track, the illusion was completed perfectly. Kids on an actual playground wouldn't all be moving around anyway, for one, and secondly, too much background action will busy up a shot and make it visually confusing.

Hope this helps.

- Brian

It may sound a little strange, but try contacting a dance studio.

I used to be a dancer when I was younger, and there were always producers calling up the dance studio, asking them to if they could hold auditions in their studios with the dancers there. I even participated in one and was *nearly* cast as the little sister in the oh so popular 'Air Bud' movies.

Dance Studios, the parents, and the children would be way more cooperative than schools. The kids already know how to take somewhat of direction and (if you call up a rather prestigious studio) the kids are well behaved. The parents probly won't mind. And the Studio staff will likely cooperate.

Just my two cents.

Parent permission in writing is a must. Parents may also be VERY reluctant to volunteer their kids for a project like this if they don't know you. Can you work any neighborhood connections? Get one parent on your side who understands what you are doing, and they could probably call up other parents and explain everything for you.

Another problem with (inexperienced) child actors is that they love to HAM for the camera. If you want a shot of kids playing in a playground, your best bet would be to tell them to just go and play while you "set up" the equipment. They will get bored waiting and start playing naturally. Then shoot the scene without telling them. Then after you have the shot. Tell them you are shooting, call "action" and watch the difference!

Parent permission in writing is a must. Parents may also be VERY reluctant to volunteer their kids for a project like this if they don't know you. Can you work any neighborhood connections? Get one parent on your side who understands what you are doing, and they could probably call up other parents and explain everything for you.

Another problem with (inexperienced) child actors is that they love to HAM for the camera. If you want a shot of kids playing in a playground, your best bet would be to tell them to just go and play while you "set up" the equipment. They will get bored waiting and start playing naturally. Then shoot the scene without telling them. Then after you have the shot. Tell them you are shooting, call "action" and watch the difference!

I am going to face this dillemma in my first short. One of the characters is a seven year old girl (she'll probably be eight by the time I get around to principal photography at the rate I'm going). She's a ham in front of still cameras, so it's going to be interesting keeping her focused. One of the things I've heard is to give them something natural to do (like the playground you mention). Fortunately, all of her scenes either have her playing a game with her mother (I plan to use her real-life mother to make the interaction believable, but I haven't screen tested her yet - lets hope she can act) or drawing on the sidewalk with chalk. One scene is going to be very challenging because it involves a somber, dramatic moment, and she needs to look sad. How do you invoke this without really making her sad somehow? My thought was to wait until evening when she's tired and borderline irritable, and then get her in front of the camera. Is that bad? It's another scene with her interacting with her mom, so this could work. What are the rules governing working with children on set?

Can anyone talk to me about child actors? I am going to be shooting a short that will hopefully be the prologue for my feature I've been working on...and it involves all children plus or minus ten years old or so.

I imagine it's even more difficult not only to direct children, but simply to find child actors. I'm guessing they will need release forms from their parents and everything, but the scene is supposed to take place at a school playground with many other children in the background (or at least background noise) and 6 actors that would actually have speaking parts / be on camera etc. One of the actors needs to have a good voice too as a small amount of a little more than barely audible singing is required.

I thought about contacting schools rather than rounding up a couple dozen kids and having to talk to all of their parents etc., but I'm not sure how practical either of those options are. Anyways, this doesn't sound like the easiest thing to do for a 5 minute short, but it's necessary. Can anyone give me some advice? Of course, any tips on working with kids in front of the camera too would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Edit: Ha...was just reading my post and realized it didn't convey the message I was trying to. Didn't mean I would just grab any actors for the lead parts...was more interested in the playground scene actually being populated with, you know, kids.
Hello: I did note the date of your post but my wife and I just bought an acting studio for kids and adults; we teach the craft of acting and offer singing instruction. So if there are acting studio or schools in your area that teach kids they may as we do offer to forward casting requests to our client base cautioning them to check things out for themselves. We have also hosting the casting call at our facility and lent a hand to the Director and Casting Director. This was done by the previous owner but it is something I would continue; I think it is good for our industry. Well, I'm a Newbie and just happen upon this sight looking for information on the film industry to pass on to my students.
Good Luck in all your endeavors;
Kind regards,
Chameleon Smoke

Contact your local middle/elementary school. Get permission from principal and contact their play production(theatre) department. Talk to the teacher, maybe you can use their kid actors. My old high school is doing a musical, and they recruited middle school children actors from their theatre program, because they needed little kids running around in their upcoming musical too.

You will need signed release forms from parents.

Also need to follow the child labor law guidelines.

Back