Rehearsal/Quemistry

Hi,

I'm directing a short for class (student filmmaker) and have cast my two leads (male/female) and we just had our first rehearsal/read-thru

I did some quemistry exercises (stuff like look into each other's eyes and try to imagine what the other is feeling/thinking) and they seemed to enjoy it and I found it fun and useful. Whether it is actually helping with their quemistry is too early to tell, and I know some people consider those things empty time-wasters.

But even if they don't do anything, there's still the basic level that the two actors seem to like it, and I like it, so it's creating a bond/relationship betweem me and them so I've decided to keep doing them for future rehearsals.

So what I'm asking for is suggestions for other similar quemistry exercises that I could run them through. I already have a list of some (like hugging alone in dark room, matching each other's breath, etc) but would appreciate have more suggestions to pick from.

Specifically more psychological exercises than physical but I'll take any kind of suggestion.

What's quemistry? You mean chemistry?

As for specific activities, I dunno, I've never actually done anything like that. Not saying there's anything wrong with it, though. If it works for you, more power to ya.

How about a game of duck-duck-goose?

I remember a couple of exercises from an acting class i took once to help me understand actors better and in doing so become a better director.

Idk how much these exercises will help you, they're mainly related to improv work.

Anyway, you can have all your actors stand in a large circle, have two step in the middle and start a random scene, whatever comes to their mind. However, at any point, one of the other actors standing in a circle can tap either of the actors standing in the middle. Once tapped, the actor goes back to the circle while the new one takes his/her place and continues the scene. So on so forth. Quite fun, entertaining and it keeps you on ur toes and can bring out the best in u.
The actors also end up developing relationships. I remember, how one guy and i worked well together and as a result, he would tap in whenever i was in the circle and vice versa.

Hope it helps!

Oh and welcome to the boards!

Back