The DC Cinematic Universe

In the Star Wars community 'Universe' has been used a lot as a phrase to talk about the whole franchise. Franchise is/was a word that belongs\ed to marketeers who look at it from the outside.

In the Star Wars community there was quite some discussion when TFA was announced: would the movie follow the canon built in the Star Wars universe or just use the 2 trilogies as 'true canon' and ignore all the books, animated series, comics, etc? (It was the latter.)

I guess, you are right Rik: Marvel succesfully coined 'cinematic universe' first.

Yeah it's just a word used in other industries as well. Marvel however markets the term which plays off of the comic feel well.

Okay back on topic.

I've heard it used in film before, more conversationally than as a title, you may be thinking about the term too hard.
Of course I am. I love defining terms and discussing their origin.
It's great to hear what others think and discuss it. I'm not trying
to win anything or be right - just discussing this "Universe" idea
that is becoming more and more popular.

The MGM musicals weren't a connected "Universe". The Warner
Bros. gangster films were not a connected Universe. The Universal
monsters weren't either. As you point out "Universal Monsters" was
from the name of the studio.

It doesn't diminish DC/Warner as they try to create a "Universe" or
Universal to try to start a Monsters Universe. I suspect Disney/LucasFilm
will be successful. So far NBC/Universal seems to have failed and DC
doesn't seem to be connecting with the movie goer.

...speaking of Suicide Squad, it seems incredibly apparent that DC told David Ayer to make things more fun, throw in classic songs, etc.
From what I've read/seen, Ayer had either finished or was working on the edit when WB hired a trailer company to make the trailer. When the trailer became massively popular, WB realized its tone was very different from Ayer's cut, so they asked Ayer to recut his film to make it more like the trailer. Can you imagine being a director & being asked that late in the game?

It takes a while for a massive corporation like WB to change course. Execs are afraid to take chances, they stick with their proven success. A dark tone works for Batman, but less for Superman. A Superman film can be dark, but the reason these 2 characters work well together conceptually is because they are opposites, dark & light. BvS has a lot of great things, but they didn't really explore that, & it doesn't have the humanity of Superman the Movie. The scene with Clark saying goodbye to his mother in the wheat field gets me every time. That movie's not perfect, but that's the kind of heart a Superman movie should have.

Do you all know that DC was the first to change from fantasy film and focus on realism in their movies? Batman Begins was what started realism is a superhero film. Then Iron Man copied that realism approach, and it sold like hot cakes. Even the director of Iron Man stated in an interview that he copied the realistic style of Batman Begins. So if anything Marvel copied DC Comics.

Do you all know that DC was the first to change from fantasy film and focus on realism in their movies? Batman Begins was what started realism is a superhero film. Then Iron Man copied that realism approach, and it sold like hot cakes. Even the director of Iron Man stated in an interview that he copied the realistic style of Batman Begins. So if anything Marvel copied DC Comics.

hahaha, now you sound like a fanboy ;)

I can really see this is indeed the case, but it doesn't make either one the only original and the other the copycat.
Everyday and all the time studios look at the succes of other movies to see what they can learn and incorporate into their own productions.

Fanboy? Jon Favreau said it himself in an interview; I'm not making stuff up. I'm a huge Marvel and DC fan, and I despise people that take sides when they are just trying to create good movies. Justice League is mixed with the creativity of Zack and Joss, even though Joss only did the reshoots when Zack left the project. Most fans are upset because a Marvel director came on board on a DC project.

Quality, you could be right about Favreau, but that doesn't mean anyone was first. It's pointless to say who copied who, when basically all studios just try to copy what has been successful. Blade & X-Men came before Batman Begins.
Those movies went more realistic because the last Batman film was too campy & failed, which was Batman & Robin.

There's a reason why DC Comics have been so dark; it's that they've been promoting Batman ever since and even when Superman came on board they introduce Batman V Superman. This has been going on since 1989. Another problem which we have is that Marvel has a lot more movies than DC Comics. The Dark Knight would always be seen as the best DC film. It has a brilliant story, character build, and tone. So you can say DC has never had a good run.

I despise people that take sides when they are just trying to create good movies.
Again. What?

You despise people who "take sides" on movies? Have YOU never
seen a movie you didn't like and took that side in a conversation?

If you've been paying attention to social media that discuss Marvel and DC Comics, they are turning it into an unnecessary verbal war, forgetting the fact that all we want is good content. I don't promote that whatsoever. I think it's very premature.

So you're the guy that watches football and hopes both teams win. Comics are as heated as sports. It's actually GOOD for business to have such dedication. You mention that fanboys trash the other universe, but nobody is even doing that here so why are you still on about it? It's a civil discussion until you step in.

If you've been paying attention to social media that discuss Marvel and DC Comics.

Maybe you should go there and yell at them then and stop acting like it's happening here.

He started it, not me.
No. He offered his opinion and you called him a "troll". If YOU
had treated him with the respect he deserved this conversation
would have stayed on topic.

If you've been paying attention to social media that discuss Marvel and DC Comics, they are turning it into an unnecessary verbal war, forgetting the fact that all we want is good content. I don't promote that whatsoever. I think it's very premature.
No, I haven't been paying attention to social media that discusses
Marvel and DC Comics. I understand that you despise me because
of my opinion but you could answer my questions. Sometimes
instead of putting people down, calling them a “troll” or despising
them you could be open minded and try to understand where
someone else is coming from. Listening to people with other
opinions can lead to respect and understanding. You don't have
to agree but being open to their opinion can help you grow.

I'm often saddened by your statements, confused by your positions
and even offended by your name calling but I do not despise you.
That's because I'm open to your opinions and am willing to listen
on the rare occasions when you answer my questions.

Back