• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do I write this DNA, forensic scenario as technically convincing?

In my script, a character manages to get a group of crooks into the same place at gunpoint. He wants to frame them for murder. He has the dead body there and he plans to frame them by forcing them at gunpoint to plant DNA evidence on the body. Such as hair, spit, etc. Then the cops will find the dead body, and the DNA evidence will point to them.

However, I need to write it so that the police don't buy it, and think it's a frame. But how do I write it so that they will believe it's a frame, as oppose to the DNA actually being put on the dead body naturally when it comes to murder? I could write it so that the cop investigating tells his superior a line like "The DNA was placed on the body incorrectly and the suspects were most likely framed" But do I need to go into real specifics as to how they figured that out, or how should I write this scenario convincingly for the audience?

Thanks.

Okay thanks, but I need the district attorney, not to prosecute and the group of crooks, to not be charged at all. If the cop says 'this doesn't feel right', would that be enough to persuade a DA not to press charges, or does there need to be more?

Last edited:
Seriously? I think you need to go watch a few more cop shows!

H44 - I would never tell anyone that they should give up on something that they enjoy doing, but please, I really don't think you are suited to script writing. You NEED to stop procrastinating with stories and just go film something. Preferably something without a script. Try a documentary about animals, or your home town, or an hour of filming paint drying... anything that you a CAPABLE of finishing.

Or, how about you show us that footage you said you had got back from the graders, and prove to us that you're not just trolling and/or a compulsive liar?

Last edited:
Okay thanks, but I need the district attorney, not to prosecute and the group of crooks, to not be charged at all. If the cop says 'this doesn't feel right', would that be enough to persuade a DA not to press charges, or does there need to be more?
The DA will only proceed with a case if they feel they can win a conviction. Let's imagine a scenario. The corpse lies on the ground, the "bad cop" (I don't know who it is in your script) makes the hoodlums spit on the corpse at gunpoint. He calls it in and lets them run off. Now the examiner comes. S/He identifies the spit and thinks it's a gang hit. They take it to the morgue, collect the DNA and start to make matches. Except the DA says, "Anyone can spit on a dead body. That doesn't prove they killed him. I need something substantial before I go to the judge." You can still round up the criminals for questioning because there is a presumption that they're involved or know who killed the victim.

Any evidence will imply some connection which needs to be followed. In a murder, you want to rule out the obvious connections first--family, friends, associates then identified contacts. With rap sheets, they probably would be brought in for questioning. The chief issue is what would compel them to not reveal the "bad cop" (from above). It doesn't get them off the hook for conspiracy to commit murder or aiding and abetting. They could still be held on suspicion of murder.

The DNA puts them at the scene but that's it. What you could do is round them up and do tests on them for gunpowder residue. All of them have clean hands and clothes. Who pulled the trigger if it's clear the victim was shot?

You come up with interesting conundrums. I'm curious to see how you work it all out.

Last edited:
Okay thanks. The thing is though, is that I want the group of men who are framed, to go into hiding. They believe they have been successfully framed, so they all hide out as fugitives. But they don't know that the DA doesn't buy it. So the DA drops the charges without ever having them questioned. Could that work?

Okay thanks. How can I make it so it's not really stupid? I could write it so the DA has had problems with the cop before, and he won't take his evidence seriously, unless he brings in something really rock hard.

Back