Would my performance be affected by this?

I acted in a couple of scenes for a short film, but we couldn't get a sound guy for those shoots. The thing is I think I gave a good video performance, but my voice doesn't sound as convincing. It was because since there was no mic in the room, it was hard to give a good audio performance, knowing it would not be used. The other scene I was just required to run and scream, so I did silent screams, but I was wondering if that would affect my video performance too. When I do the ADR after the locked edit, I will of course give a much better audio performance, but do you think that not speaking as loudly, and not screaming near as loud will affect the video performance too?

I think it's pretty common for ADR performances to lack the intensity and emotion that the actual take had. Regardless of the sound being recorded you should always do the take with full intensity. It shows.

Yes, if you do a silent scream, it will look fake.

(There are really great actors who CAN do a good silent scream, but I'm gonna be practical and say that you're probably not skilled like them.)

Do you have issues with filming in your neighborhood? Is it bad if you scream? If so, then you will have to be creative with how you do your filming and how you do your ADR.

But, if not, you should scream. For real. And get it in live production.

This post was from long time ago, but since then I have learned that the best thing to do is to say the lines without looking at myself, cause then at least the emotion is better. I do a lot of those and mix match the best lines.

As an actor, you should always do your vocalization exercise before you go on stage. It will surely help you to have a good quality of voice whenever you perform. When you are tasked to run and scream, just do it naturally and not just depending on voice editing. Just sayin' :)

LOL, and without camera you can't move? ;)

Eventhough this is an old question. For people with the same question it is great to see these answers.
Yes, leaving out a part of the performance (voice) affects the whole performance.
Musicians sing along when shooting a musicvideo for that same reason.

Your voice is a tool.
Warm it up, treat it well. Even voice-over actors do this.
Also do an warming up for your jaw, ectually, do it for your whole body: because you need to be ready to act.

Back