• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Opinions on this concept?

I'm a newbie to this forum and further so, practically new to screenwriting (wouldn't know the first thing, do know the formatting though which I learned a couple days ago, so that's a start).

Anyways, been brainstorming Ideas and I think I've touched on an excellent topic which hasn't been dabbled into (not to brag), not with seriousness at least.

Here we go:

A man captures an Extraterrestrial on his recorder with much detail (not your typical blurred video) and a small time news crew is willing pay big bucks for the footage to be displayed on their channel (hoping they'd reach the big time with such content), he gladly agrees to do so and a day or so later after he finalizes the deal with the news station. A few black suited men storm the station and reap all the footage, leaving the crew with not an once of the video left to show. The men then make their way to the originator's home (man who originally captured the footage) and ask him for the final copy of the film, the man himself is somewhat knowledgeable of these black suited men (hint, hint: Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones played these guys), he's a real conspiracist and makes a run for it with film in possession. A wild chase ensues throughout the film and somehow the Extraterrestrial, the true identities of these Men In Black, the news crew and underground government/secret operations are further involved and shown.

I don't know how the last sentence will be executed but it's only been a few hours since the idea popped into my head, so I'm not exactly all on details but think the basic plot is fine.

what'd do you guys think?

Welcome to indietalk.

With a talented, creative writer this concept could make a
great story. It could also fall into trite, cliche nonsense.
There is a huge difference between an idea that pops into
your head and a finished script. I think you should write it.

I'm not exactly all on details but think the basic plot is fine.

I wouldn't say the basic plot is fine - I'd say you don't have a plot at all. You've got a premise, but not a story. It's just a set up for the story. Guy gets evidence of aliens, government agents come after him. That's the beginning - what's the middle and end?

I wouldn't say the basic plot is fine - I'd say you don't have a plot at all. You've got a premise, but not a story. It's just a set up for the story. Guy gets evidence of aliens, government agents come after him. That's the beginning - what's the middle and end?

Bad wording on my part, my understanding of creating/filming terms isn't exactly up to par.

Yeah, this sounds a lot like it could easily fall into cliche or camp territory

That being said, that can be said about the premise of plenty of great films. Alien sound like it'll just be another monster movie, but it was amazing.

I would try to handle it in a way that hollywood wouldn't. You aren't writing the next michael bay film. Try to avoid things that those people would do. Make it different.

And, most of all, good luck!

Last edited:
I really like the concept, but agree it could veer into the cliche, camp territory.

If shot, I think this would actually work better on a limited budget and filmed in a real stripped down, slow burner kind of way. I think it would do better without mad car chases and races against time, but with a lot more tense, "what's-around-the-corner" vibe.

I think it would suffer if written in the style of some kind of summer blockbuster. Low key nail biting conspiracy thriller for me. (Yes, that's now a genre).

At the end of the day, get it written. You'll know as you hammer it out if it works or not, and then come back with a draft :)

Back