Melanie Martinez

sfoster

Staff Member
This girl was a singer on the voice before she became famous and now she's taking the time to direct music videos for every song on her album.

That's pretty cool right? I've never heard of anyone doing that before.
Not just making a video for every song on your album, but personally directing all the videos herself.

Sounds cool enough to me that I thought she deserved a mention - but she has enough views she doesn't need me to advertise :lol:

It's cool to see a young famous singer so interested in film making.
For her upcoming album she directed a movie that releases in two weeks. September 6th.

I tried to get tickets to see it in theater but that is one day only and all the seats were sold out by me.
The film releases online the next day.

I think it's some kind of musical film that features all of the songs from her new album K-12

Last edited:
Yeah, that fascinates me too. and her ideas are pretty original and neat too.

Definitely original.

Has any other *professional singer ever written/directed/starred in their own musical feature film ?

*Edit: added professional

Last edited:
Actually the opposite is pretty prevalent where the filmmaker releases his/her album while writing and directing their video clips themselves. But it's not a big deal as if it's expected of them. David Lynch is a good example of this.

Does short film count?

You may also want to consider:

Short film cant count because then you can classify any music video with some dialogue before/after as a short film and youre going to have a bunch of people with those parameters.

As far as a star is born and mr cooper

"As well as directing, co-writing and acting in the movie, Cooper took guitar and piano lessons for six months to prepare for his role as a country rocker. "

This sounds like an actor getting into role for a musician.. not a musician writing and directing a film

This sounds like an actor getting into role for a musician.. not a musician writing and directing a film
If he can play and sing that well, he is a musician. He just may not have known it or perused it. I win! :D

If he can play and sing that well, he is a musician. He just may not have known it or perused it. I win

I agree completely.

Cooper re-wrote the movie to make it contemporary & directed it. He sang the lead song and many others; he co-wrote several of the song as well.

Here's the soundtrack credits from IMDb:

A Star is Born (2018) soundtrack listing

Last edited:
If he can play and sing that well, he is a musician. He just may not have known it or perused it. I win! :D

well then i have news for you... he took lessons but someone else played the guitar for the film. he only sang
Edit: also being able to do it doesn't make you a professional musician. youve got to be making your money through music too.

Last edited:
I agree completely.

Cooper re-wrote the movie to make it contemporary & directed it. He sang the lead song and many others; he co-wrote several of the song as well.

Here's the soundtrack credits from IMDb:

A Star is Born (2018) soundt3rack listing

yeeeah im just not buying it. I looked at the soundtrack listing and he didnt write a single song by himself.
All he ever did was cowrite and sing... also he has no album. he wasn't good enough at the guitar to play it in the film.

so anyone that can sing and hire a professional cowriter is a musician?
I think my real problem here is this - he has no other music outside of the film. its just the film and thats it, his only music is in character as an actor. and he was hired for it as a professional actor.

he has a few of songs on this soundtrack but there is a lot of solo gaga on there too.
there is no brad cooper music album i can buy is there ?

and the better question.. does he have any interest at all in making music now that he isn't required to sing songs as an actor?
is an actor that got into character for 12 different roles a professional at 12 different occupations?

Last edited:
How about this.. melanie is the first established musician to write and direct a musical film.
Since brad was not an established musician before the film star is born he would not be eligible.

everybody can sing. i can sing. some of us better than others.
this girl is a real musician.. plays guitar, drums and sings all at the same time?? writes her own songs by herself.
music is her life ya know? not just something she did once for 6 months.

Last edited:
well then i have news for you... he took lessons but someone else played the guitar for the film. he only sang
Edit: also being able to do it doesn't make you a professional musician. youve got to be making your money through music too.

ONLY sang, man you are pretty harsh!

The girl is a REAL musician because she plays instruments. Okay dude.

I think I will take my fake-musician-singing-ass out of this thread, lol.

Nick Cave (Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds), also writer/director/actor
RZA of Wu Tang (musician, writer, director, actor)
Rob Zombie
Ice Cube

But you wanted them to sing and play in it too? I forgot what this list was about :lol:

I don't deny that this girl is talented. I mean look at her videos, I've never seen video clips like this before. and I understand that if you admire someone it's tempting to give that person all the credits it's just a mental thing. But to be honest in the world of entertainment, specially in music there is always a co-something. No one does it all solo. There is a big team of talent behind every project, they all contribute. But sadly in the world of music the singer tends to get most of the attention. Most of melanie's song's are co-written:
you can look up the rest. Now we don't know the exact "percentile" she contributed to the writing of every song 😄 , but she definitely didn't do it all alone. So I'm not sure we should give her the whole credit. Same thing goes with her new feature.

Last edited:
Back