Which is better Audacity or HitFilm? - Sound editing

Personally, I think sound is more important than picture quality. (I can’t understand why people always think the other way around.) And there I got a question. Which is better for sound editing audacity or HitFilm Express?

@indietalk Nothing to edit. I have to plan. I want to have quality. And not these "Ha! I make a movie. Now I’m cool"-stuff. And that’s meaning to find the best freeware for the result.

It depends on what you are doing. When I was doing only audio, I started off with audacity years ago. But then I got into video recording and filming. Clearly, audacity is not going to cut it. So I recommend getting an editing software that can do both video and audio.

@Quality Yah! I know Audacity doesn’t solve everything. I will borrow the cam and an extended microphone from my dad. But you have to edit the annoying noises first. Then you can mix both.

Of course, it is a professional software. If you feel more comfortable using Audacity's noise reduction, you can root the Audacity.exe into Hitfilm so you can edit externally with Audacity.

"Fix it in post" applies to audio as well as picture. You should not have annoying sounds on your audio. That's when you cut and retake, or you eliminate the noise (air conditioner, baby crying etc.) on set. Shit in shit out. NOTHING is going to clean up poorly recorded audio. Do it right on set.

You will still get that light hiss noise when you record, even if it's a little air blowing. No mic is perfect; then you edit that in post. I'm not telling him to record in a hurricane and fix that in post.

I own the Pro 8 version of HitFilm and I would use dedicated multi-track audio editing program, such as a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), with VST plugin support for audio editing and mastering.

As a long time musician, I personally have several DAWs in my music studio and have never used Audacity. However, to my knowledge, Audacity does support VSTs, which will open up more available tools to edit the audio tracks.

It
Personally, I think sound is more important than picture quality. (I can’t understand why people always think the other way around.) And there I got a question. Which is better for sound editing audacity or HitFilm Express?

Really? Then why are you comparing an audio editing program to a compositing and 3D model editing program? Compare HitFilm Pro to After Effects, not Audacity.

For Audiacity compare it to Protools, Audition, and Sound Forge Pro.

Last edited:
You can get a free version of Pro Tools called Pro Tools First. But if you're using Premiere presumably you've also got Audition? That comes with some good noise reduction.

I own the Pro 8 version of HitFilm and I would use dedicated multi-track audio editing program, such as a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), with VST plugin support for audio editing and mastering.

As a long time musician, I personally have several DAWs in my music studio and have never used Audacity. However, to my knowledge, Audacity does support VSTs, which will open up more available tools to edit the audio tracks.

So, yeah... there are a couple things here that need to be mentioned.

First, a dedicated audio editing app is ALWAYS better for editing audio than a dedicated video editing app or compositing app. That’s just... logical. Just like a screwdriver is always better than a hammer for sinking a screw.

Second, there are a few big limitations here. The first is that HitFilm does not allow for exporting OMF or AAF. Those are the two ways to move a project from an NLE to a DAW. Without that ability, there’s only so much that can be done for editing sound outside of the NLE.

If you can’t move your original audio tracks, intact and as they appear in the NLE, to a DAW, any audio editing done outside the NLE is pretty much limited to work done on individual clips. Edit the individual clip, export it as a new file, and bring it back into HitFilm. And that’s a convluted workflow. But something like Audacity is fine for working on small clips.

Or you can do all of your dialog editing and mixing in HitFilm and export the video with mixed dialog, then use another multitrack DAW app to add music and effects and do a final mix there. Either way, you’re stuck doing a lot of sound editing in HitFilm and committing to it before you do anything else in another app.

ProTools First is great for what it is, but it does have severe limitations. Only 16 tracks. No OMF/AAF support. No video support. Only three projects at a time, stored on a 1GB cloud (no local project storage). Lots of other limitations, but those four are the ones that make this not the best idea for video work.

Last edited:
Back