• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Another music video to fight about!!

Question for Rob and Phil..

You two seem to be dialed into the making music vids.. can a guy like me hook up with a band or two and just make a few bucks, you know nothing big, but just some scratch (200->500) range?

Yep, that's actually all it seems artists want to spend on video's these day's any ways. I've got 2 video's where some one gave me over $500 for the video, and most of those budgets where spent on equipment rentals!!!

Two things to know from my experience though,

1. Don't show the artists ruff edits, or you'll end up with piles of suggestions from artists who know nothing about video and a big old head ache.

2. If they have a concept that they want done, and want you to stick to some kind of strict guildlines or story board that they made, be ready for another head ache. With video's like that, I end up shooting all kinds of thing that I know won't translate, or will never get used just to be polite. We had to set a whole location on shoot based around a single line in the middle of one of three verses, and I'm almost sure no one noticed the correlation.

Yep, that's actually all it seems artists want to spend on video's these day's any ways. I've got 2 video's where some one gave me over $500 for the video, and most of those budgets where spent on equipment rentals!!!

Two things to know from my experience though,

1. Don't show the artists ruff edits, or you'll end up with piles of suggestions from artists who know nothing about video and a big old head ache.

2. If they have a concept that they want done, and want you to stick to some kind of strict guildlines or story board that they made, be ready for another head ache. With video's like that, I end up shooting all kinds of thing that I know won't translate, or will never get used just to be polite. We had to set a whole location on shoot based around a single line in the middle of one of three verses, and I'm almost sure no one noticed the correlation.

Oh, so nail on head!!... I tell anyone working on a none budget, I am happy to hear ideas if your happy to pay for them =).. okay not really but I think it.. I do however, always try to head off 'yah yah's' off at the pass. Show them stills, not clips.

Hmm... Can't suggest much with the content of that first video. Looks like you already have the skilzNtools to do that.

The Enema-em video has that suggested story thing i was yabbering about.
Also some back-lit sky/sun with some significant reflector work.
Gotta like playing with fire. I don't know why, but humans are still fascinated by sh!t burning and exploding.

Do the Moonshine Bandits like burning stuff, too? :yes::no::lol:

Good to hear. The education never ends.
Hey, now. Surely someone had a mud rigger to bring a few boxes of stuff out there for you. :)
Swoop? Define, please.
Yeah, I was wondering about how you were handling the mud situation. It scared me, too. Get a waterproof bag next time?

I love that back lit with reflector look.. omg beautiful. ..the rest, I like the grading and continuity. It's stunning to me.. the only part I don't care for are the rhianna sections, feels so greenscreened to me.

Oh, so nail on head!!... I tell anyone working on a none budget, I am happy to hear ideas if your happy to pay for them =).. okay not really but I think it.. I do however, always try to head off 'yah yah's' off at the pass. Show them stills, not clips.

Ha! No shit! When they're done with they're "ideas", I'll tell them, "Ok, now that I know what you want to do, let me think it over and come up with some thing realistic for the money you have and the time I can spend."

People want to do car shots, inside and out, and shoot in 6 different locations, and want to do it all for $400, when that's what I'm gonna need just to rent the equipment needed!!! And that's based off a actual pitch from a artists. And almost all of them are rappers, bad ones at that, at least your last shoot looked like a massive fun time! I hope you got to take that bog buggy for a rally! I'd have knocked money off just to use they're toys for the weekend!!! :D Get er done!!!

Ha! No shit! When they're done with they're "ideas", I'll tell them, "Ok, now that I know what you want to do, let me think it over and come up with some thing realistic for the money you have and the time I can spend."

People want to do car shots, inside and out, and shoot in 6 different locations, and want to do it all for $400, when that's what I'm gonna need just to rent the equipment needed!!! And that's based off a actual pitch from a artists. And almost all of them are rappers, bad ones at that, at least your last shoot looked like a massive fun time! I hope you got to take that bog buggy for a rally! I'd have knocked money off just to use they're toys for the weekend!!! :D Get er done!!!

Haha, yeah the weekend was nuts.. I drove and bogged, and ate competition bbq, and drank all I wanted.. Course the latter was in check due to working. The folks in East Tx are great, and amazing hosts..

Regarding 'ideas' I try to find a video that matches the budget and how I think might fit their personality and show it to them. ..not so much for stealing the video shot for shot, but to show exciting scenarios or ideas without renting a jet, haha..

Not my style or my taste in music but it did seem like a good time was had by all.

The video is fine except for the stagnant shots that everyone mentioned.

And where are the close ups? All i saw were medium and wide shots. CU's and ECU's? We as the audience never really got into that good feeling and fun time they were having. We just observed them.

Back