• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch We shoot this on the Red!

Sounds good directorik no worries I'm good. It's not really about hope it's more about showing branding and creating hype for your film. What we teach at LFO is more about the business side, not allowing your movie to collect dust on a shelf. Understand guys I don't get bothered by being attacked, cause I'm human just like anyone else. I'm just trying to do something bigger than us on helping the world establish a strong positive mindset.

Seemed pretty good to me! Clever concept. The way it was done did drag a bit as it went past the two minute mark, but I think the footage looks fine — really good, even. As a 5D owner, I would certainly like to use a RED someday.

Yes, but what experience is LFO pulling from to show us how to do these things? How many films have you marketed? How many films have you shot and had distributed? These are kind of important things...

Getting your hands on a Red doesn't impress me. Nor should it you. If you work on a set with a professional mindset, the camera used doesn't change a thing...the set is still run the same way whether you have a Red or an HVX200. What impresses me are when people score nice equipment, and do great things with that equipment. The equipment is just the paint brush. You still have to paint something interesting.

Yes the Red is nice. So are a lot of cameras out there. But you don't need all that to make a solid, well executed film. Perhaps the 'higher-ups' care about the format...well of course they do...so having a nice camera with a name is a positive. But in the end, if you don't know what you're doing, none of that matters.

I wish you guys luck. And as DirectorRik said, if you would have just expressed your point in your subject line or body of text, and not just thrown up some elitist drivel, we might have been more apt to support you.

Trust me, I want to support everyone. I want everyone to feel welcome here. But if we smell BS, we'll call you on it--that's a good thing.

Last edited:
Learn Film Online,

Maybe you missed my question in the shuffle, but did you also shoot the video
for That1Guy’s Buttmachine song?

I liked your video posted here and was wondering if that was also yours
as it too is a decent simple (and quirky) video that I enjoyed.

-Thanks-

Guys, he's no fake.

Look at the most recent video at http://learnfilmonline.com/ and he actually promotes Indietalk.com in that video blog...

My thoughts on the video...

It's as repetitive as the Inception score and boring to watch. The moustache gimmick loses it's humor about the 3rd time he does it - then it's just boring. The way the guy is singing makes my own throat hurt and feel scratchy...

Dunno what to say. I think you got the focus and color correct - the content is just too lame to even think about. And I can't even critique you on the awful music mix because I know you only did the visuals.

And the lamest part about it is I thought he only walked back and forth once and they copy/pasted that but looking closely, the clouds move forward and change with the time lapse so I guess it means he walked back and forth every time and they time lapsed it.. What a waste of time and hard drive space...

I'm stumped.

Goodnight.

Last edited:
He's been a member since 2003. Hey Denny why do you always create new accounts? Look at the confusion it causes ;).

The point of this is to show hope to the indy filmmakers in the world...

This is not to show off the footage, just to show you guys how easy it is to make something look decent. We as Indy filmmakers need to step up our game and stop using crappy camera that make are stuff look B movie.

We have a hold on Hollywood, and now with cameras like the Mark 5D we can make some good stuff. I'm just here in support. If you have any questions please let me know.

Okay. However,

We have hope or we wouldn't even be here. Independent film is only sustained by hope :D

My observation of the RED camera is that in real world independent, you can't afford a RED with no budget. I don't know many people who will volunteer a RED, but I volunteer my DVX and I have a friend who volunteers his Sony EX3. I think quite a few of us are in this situation. Most of my friends are lo to no-budget filmmakers. For us the point is to make what we have look decent. Its hard to step up your game when you are still paying for your last professional camera (that's what I am doing). So, I endeavor to make what I do look the best I can make it. I think most people do as well. :yes:

The smartest thing we can do, I think, is to learn the business side of the industry. The ground is littered with filmmakers who had a good idea, but no business sense and thus no next movie.

...er, who has a hold on Hollywood? (not picking a fight, just saying...)

-- spinner :cool:

For informational purposes in this thread. I recently had to price out camera rentals in my market (central MN)... the RED rents out for $600/day for a basic package. I haven't spent that much on anything we've shot... period. My feature cost $250 (it shows, but it has moments where everything came together right) for 25 days of shooting. I also don't have the $5K it would take to upgrade my computer to be able to handle the footage for editing... so it's currently out of my ballpark. I'm perfectly content to shoot in SD as all of my current distro is SD. My job is to make that look great.

I think what this boils down to it: That image looks phenomenal because the person running it knew how to run it... from a straight image stand point, it's the Director/DP/Cam Op that makes the pictures cool, not the camera (I'm complementing the OP btw) - but the camera is just hardware at the end of the day. I've seen absolute digital looking crap shot with just about every camera on the market - I've seen really pretty footage shot on cell phone cameras - it all depends on the operator of the camera and how they use the equipment and the light.

Back