Best steadycam for mini-dv?

I'm starting pre-production on a short film that will include a lot of very long, smooth camera shots that can only be captured using a steadycam or dolly. So...I'm in the market for a steadycam that's not ridiculously expensive (preferably $300 USD or under) but that will suffice in keeping the camera very steady.

Any suggestions?

Leigh,

Firstly, there are no other forums. Indietalk is it.

Second, your 64mb video of a guy bike riding although is very stable vertically, looks terribly unstable horizontally.

WideShot said:
Leigh,

Firstly, there are no other forums. Indietalk is it.

Second, your 64mb video of a guy bike riding although is very stable vertically, looks terribly unstable horizontally.

Thanks for the comment.

I am learning the skill part time. I wish it is a magic to become a master, but in reality my skill just advance slowly.

By the way, can you give me some link of Indietalk post related to gy-dv5000 usage hints?

TIA

Regards
Leigh

Glidecam Advocate

Alright I'm not sure who the genius is who said the "glidecam is totally useless", but he's full of crap..I've been using it for about 4 months now and I couldn't be happier with the shots it creates..you can't build one that works quite like it..for one, it's made of lightweight aluminum and other materials that you can't just buy at the hardware store..and they last forever...my friend has had his glidecam 1000 for years and it still works like a charm..

im studio mangr. for my university's tv station and we have a glidecam pro 4000 collecting dust. i've spent countless hours playing with it but can never get it to balance properly, im sure from tinkering with it that it would be an amazing tool if i ever do get it to work properly. but it'll deff take some work. though i have to agree though that the body pod is a rip off.

steadicam

Well,

I have the DV tiffen steadicam. don't have the exact model number on me. But really unless you are doing a huge production you don't need to go out and buy or rent one. Wheel chairs can help stabilize and act as dollies, you can build your own as said above, you can even tape your camera to a big piece of wood so that any movement is less abrupt. But you probably know this already, good luck on your project.

www.saltzmanproductions.com

What I use is the Glidecam 2000 Pro (maybe its 4000, i can't remember) and it's defintiely not useless...but, it does take adjusting to. You need a couple hours with it. Also, balancing it properly is key.

I was the one Spatula was refering to. We used it on the Orange Crush shoot and I doubt the team had any complaints with it.

www.scope-films.com/elise/

in the trailer, the first shot is done with the glidecam and a gl2...and its not even weighted properly, i didnt bring enough weights with me, but the end result is still very, very good.

Back