• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Screenplays For Sale Forum

Degas

Degas
Date Placed: 6 May 2005
Genre: Artistic
Author: John P. Roach Jr.

Logline: Blindness challenges dedicated artist.

Edgar Degas, a Realist Painter leads his contemporaries through the Impressionist’s Revolution in Art. In Paris Cafes amidst lively Can Can Music, artists rebel against Salon Judges of the Louvre. A drama of conflict, challenge, rejection, dedication and ultimately world fame.

Longbow Productions, gave this Screenplay, DEGAS, a "Recommend".

Comparative film: "Lust for Life".

Satire@mei.ws

Last edited:
Synopsis “ DEGAS " WGA # 784903

ACT I
Artists, writers and intellectuals gather daily to meet at the Cafe Guerbois and later Cafe Novelle-Athene to discuss the events in Paris in the early 1870s. They have their routine of sitting in the same seats, arguing, joking and drinking beer. Dapper EDOUARD MANET and the talented witty intellectual EDGAR DEGAS are frequently arguing over the merits of displaying their paintings in the Salon. SALON JURORS decide whether the art is good enough to be accepted or rejected. Both Manet and Degas have successfully had their paintings admitted to the Salon where Manet seeks medals and Degas now questions the competence of the jurors and considers the possibility of breaking away from the Salon entirely. It was in these Cafes that the Impressionist Group was formed to independently display their art without interference from the jurors. (Plot point 1) It was agreed that no artist could display their art with the Impressionists Group if they submitted their art to the Salon. Manet prefers to stay with the Salon while Degas is joined by MONET, RENOIR, MORRISOT, CEZANNE, PISSARO and others to organize the First Impressionist Exhibition.

ACT II
The First Impressionists Exhibition lost money. Edgar Degas is the motivating force in trying to keep this group of artists together. He has to deal with replacing artists who defect by returning to the Salon. Edgar invites an American artist MARY CASSATT to join the Impressionists in time for the Fourth Exhibition which was very successful. PAUL GAUGUIN eventually joins group as does SISLEY, SEURAT and others. Edgar Degas becomes the mentor for Mary Cassatt whose art improves under Degas' influence. Degas' art commands high prices and is in great demand and life seems fine until Degas complains about his failing eyesight. The DOCTOR confirms that the deterioration will continue and Degas will eventually be blind. (Plot point 2.)

ACT III
Mary Cassett asks. What will you do? Degas replies, "If Beethoven could write music while deaf, I will learn to paint while blind." Degas knows his time in limited and oil paint takes too long to dry so he switches to pastels to be more productive. His last pastels let us see how blind he has become. Sculpture is next and Degas achieves a major breakthrough with "Little Dancer Age 14". By the time he is totally blind he has coined the word "Realism" to describe his art and has left us with hundreds of paintings documenting life as it was in the late nineteenth century in Paris. Subjects include, life in the cafes, whorehouses, at the races, the ballet, the opera, nude studies, laundresses, portraits, at the milliners, the circus, the beach to name a few. The Impressionists as a group revolutionized art. Edgar Degas the "Realist" in that group was their leader, the master, and recognized by his peers as changing the direction of art forever. The Degas painting "L'Absinthe" is perfection in "Realism" as spectators stand in awe trying to determine what is the story of this woman in the painting that the master has captured on canvas.
END

The entire script may be found at www.inktip.com

Satire

To all you artists!

To all you artists:

Time to inject a little humor into this thread.

Edgar Degas did a few self-portraits, one of which is the only Degas painting at the Getty Museum in LA.

I have copies of most of them, he had a straight long Roman Nose and always appeared aloof. One day I noticed the DVD cover of "Windtalkers' with Nicholas Cage. If Nicholas isn't an exact look-a-like I don't know what? The more I looked at Nicholas Cage photos, the more I became convinced.

Top actor looks like Degas, gotta do someething about this. I took two different self portraits of Degas and put a photo of Nicholas Cage between the two. Sent the photos out with the script to his agent, his publicity manager and a few others and asked that it be forward to him.

Never heard a thing accept his agency said we do not accept unsolicited scripts. A typical response from an agency. Basically I have to get Nicholas Cage, to demand the script from his agent. Not the easiest thing to do. Where else can I get an exact look-alike actor?

Those of you who have read the book "The Di Vinci Code" realize that for the first time in History the producers of this new film are allowed access to the Louvre to film. Wow, what a break. The film Degas would be a piece of cake if access were allowed as well to Musee d'Orsay which now houses the Impressionist Collection.

Anyone reading the Degas script will realize how few scenes are required. A few galleries, two cafes, with can can music and dancers, two art studios, the Louvre, a replica of Jeu de Parme a gatehouse and a few scenes that can be accomplished in the studio.

Three women, one plain and stylish, one beautiful, one fat and wealthy. A dozen or so men , most with beards, all well dressed.

Should be classified as Low Budget, and be of interest to Indie Filmakers, especially French Indie filmakers.

You would think a story about a revolution in art would be of interest to artists?

Does anybody have a connection to Nicholas cage?

Satire

Back