Getting started in the industry

Currently I am about to graduate with my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in College Station. In the past year I have gone from doing video production as a hobby to working as a freelancer in town as a part time job. My major/academic focus is not in film, and is actually in International Studies with a minor in Arabic. I have never had anyone to mentor or teach me in the field of film production, but have taught myself and grown to love storytelling through documentary film. I know this is what I want to pursue after I finish school in, but I don't know where to start and have questions about starting out in the industry.

Some of my questions revolve around figuring out the best and most effective way to begin a career in documentary film without being homeless. Is it difficult to find a production company that is hiring? Should I consider going to film school for a MFA in Production? Or should I follow a story I am passionate about as an independent filmmaker and try to get funding and co-production?

Advice from some of you who have experience from your early days starting out and from what you see as professionals now would be of great help. Thanks.

I'm guessing to get into documentary making you will need something to prove your worth to show to any production company that might be interested in a documentary you have in mind. So my advice is to get a camera and a friend who's also passionate about your chosen subject, and then make a low budget, short documentary. But, make it innovative and interesting.

At least then you can shop that around and say to companies "hey, look what I did with just myself and a friend! Imagine what I could do with a little backing! We could get millions of viewers on this project of mine".

That's where I would start. Obviously you will need a job in the meantime to support yourself, but who doesn't?

Some of my questions revolve around figuring out the best and most effective way to begin a career in documentary film without being homeless.

The same way musicians do it, find a girlfiend or wife to support you :)

Seriously, there are many filmmakers and crew that I know, myself included, who have good paying day jobs and moonlight making films. While scheduling can be a hassle, my day job affords me the ability to own a home, own a car, and also purchase quality tools I use as a location sound recordist. Even with a day job, I still manage to be on a shoot location several days each month.

I currently have some work I have done as promotional material for organizations at my university and in town. I also have a few video as part of a short film series for a ministry based out of Dallas. So, I have some material for a reel or portfolio.

One of the big questions for me is whether or not film school is necessary or worth it. If I can do filmmaking without it that is obviously preferable. Get started earlier for cheaper. Does anyone know if there are internships that allow for a job on the side? Even if I could be hired as a cameraman or sound recordist that would be awesome. A lot of people started there and now direct, produce, or DP.

@Gpforet: That's cool that you can do legit filmmaking on top of your job. My degree (International Studies) however doesn't have much use without a master attached.

I also understand answers to these kind of questions can be hard to come by due to the difference between supply and demand for employment.

Internship with a production company would be a good idea. May not pay but would help you get started. How about just making films. If you want to make films I don't see getting a masters worth it. It is all about experience and building networks. Good luck. Why study degree of things you don't want to do for a job. Instead study things you want to do. Seems that the degree you got was a waste of money. Sure film school would help if you can afford it otherwise learn on your own. You could learn film school online or just read the books they use in film school and learn on your own to save money.

Last edited:
One of the big questions for me is whether or not film school is necessary or worth it. If I can do filmmaking without it that is obviously preferable. Get started earlier for cheaper. Does anyone know if there are internships that allow for a job on the side? Even if I could be hired as a cameraman or sound recordist that would be awesome.
Film school is not necessary but may be worth it. Right here in
indietalk you will find several discussions about films school.
You can do filmmaking without going to film school.

I don’t know anything about internships, but I do know that most
prodCo’s offer them. I do know that to be hired as a cameraman or
sound recordist you need quite a bit of experience. Neither of
those jobs are entry level.

I'm a living example of how to make it with no prior experience at all.

If I were you, I wouldn't go to film school. That's my opinion, though.

Back