I need help to determine which DSLR camera I should get

Hi, I have little experience with shooting "legit" films, pieces I can feel proud of, but I really do intend to change that as I have a big passion for film and one day hope to make a career out of it. Everything I've made thus far has been filmed using my iPhone, so I really could use an upgrade.

I would say my budget is around $1000. I hear quarter 2 of the year is one of the best times to buy a camera. I've asked for some advice on this in the past as well and was told I should pick up some audio equipment as well, as the camera's sadly aren't the best for audio. In the past, before some detours, I was looking at getting a t3i with a second lens. That was only from my research though, as then I didn't have any experienced minds to ask.

Given a $1000 budget, as a person who really wants to start getting serious about filmmaking, what should I get?

Wow, thank you all for the advice. The experience of others is invaluable. The time for me to buy my gear is drawing closer (this week I hope) I have no idea where to look. kijiji had one, but that was months ago. AHH.

Why on earth are people telling you to get canon I will never know. Their glass is outdone by other manufacturers...as for a canon camera...yea its good, but the likes of a Panasonic GH2 with the hack, or the GH3 will kick its ass. Canon has ruled camera stuff for a little while now, but they have also been easily outgunned by non canon cameras...the reason many still bleat on about Canon is simply because Canon has bleated the loudest for the longest so it is peoples go-to answer....seriously, do yourself a favour, and look at some youtube videos on t3i vs gh2 or vs gh3...you will soon see what I mean.

canon [...] glass is outdone by other manufacturers...as for a canon camera...yea its good, but the likes of a Panasonic GH2 with the hack, or the GH3 will kick its ass.
That's odd, I think it's just the opposite.

Their glass is beyond compare. Their cameras could use some work, but the glass Canon makes is top of the line.

The reason why canon came up was the OP said something about buying a t3i. Frankly, I don't like the form factor for filming, and I've shot a few things on Canon. I use them because they make great still cameras.

I found a deal for the t3i. I was looking at PC Mag for reviews, and it showed the msrp was $899.99, but the cheapest price was $390.00 at "Marie Digitals". This deal almost seems too good to be true, but I do trust PC Mag. Here it is, what do you think?

http://www.mariedigitalz.com/canon-eos-rebel-t3i-18-55mm-is-ii-kit-115-p.asp

and the pc mag page i was talking about.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393108,00.asp

and here's all the camera's Marie Digitals has, I can get a t5i for about $500 apparently. I was actually thinking I could spend a bit more than $1000 overall, since this is going to be a big investment for my future/career.

http://www.mariedigitalz.com/digital-cameras-14-c.asp

Well scratch that, i did some research and it seems to be a scam. Damn you PC Mag! lol I'm a mac guy anyway. -_-

Here is the page I read indicating it was a scam.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Bidding-Buying/marie-digitalz-is-secure-place-to-buy/qaq-p/23636908

Sorry for all the links, but it's been an interesting 10 minutes for me lol

Last edited:
That's what I mean. I think many people have t3i's. Not that that's a bad thing, but if this is going to be something that helps with my career, then I can justify paying more for it. Nothing near $2000, but maybe $1000 for the camera itself, and $500 for the gear. That's how I justified buying my Mac, now I want to put it to actual use lol

I mean say, for example, is a Canon EOS 60D much better than a T3i? (to justify the price)

Any ideas here?

Last edited:
That's what I mean. I think many people have t3i's. Not that that's a bad thing, but if this is going to be something that helps with my career, then I can justify paying more for it. Nothing near $2000, but maybe $1000 for the camera itself, and $500 for the gear. That's how I justified buying my Mac, now I want to put it to actual use lol

I mean say, for example, is a Canon EOS 60D much better than a T3i? (to justify the price)

Any ideas here?

Slightly better, and the articulating lcd is nice.

But as far as distribution of your dollars, lenses tend to retain their value much better than camera bodies. Most (canon) lenses will drop to 2/3 of their value after 5-10 years, but a camera body tends to drop to half it's purchased value within 3 years.

Some lenses have even maintained their value for over 10 years. The Canon 24-70 F2.8L has gone up in value because the newer version 2 costs $2k still. Old version had dropped to about $1k, but is now around $1300.

So you'd still suggest a canon t3i, but i should spend the excess on lenses?

I'm usually good with technology, but I find myself clueless when it comes to cameras lol

Last edited:
So you'd still suggest a canon t3i, but i should spend the excess on lenses?

I'm usually good with technology, but I find myself clueless when it comes to cameras lol

My suggestion dude..go and watch some youtube videos. There are so many out there that discuss for instance canon t3i vs whatever whatever....different camera's have different qualities, different strengths, different pictures even...for instance the Sony A7 and the new Panasonic GH4 are both great camera's...either would be a dream to own for an indie film maker...but the A7 handles low light better....but to counter that, the GH4 gives a warmer picture (in my opinion)...The Panasonic GH3 won a shoot out contest that also had Alexxa's and Big Reds because the people who voted, voted as a majority for the footage from the GH3 (link provided below)...so go and find the camera that will make what you want to make...that is really the only way to learn, and the only way to find the right camera for you.

http://www.zacuto.com/shootout-revenge-2012/revenge-great-camera-shootout-part-one

I really like that answer, but I don't think I can afford the camera they use in Breaking Bad!! xD

I'm such a novice, the last book I read on film was "Filmmaking For Dummies". To be fair, it was all stuff I found to be really obvious and I didn't learn much more than I already knew. I'm not sure what I want yes, but I really do like the way Breaking Bad is shot. They had Albuquerque to work with though, I just have winnipeg.

winnipeg-skyline.jpg

Also, I like the idea of that video. Watching it now, thanks!

Last edited:
$600 USD for the body only isn't great. Not a ripoff, but not a great deal imo. Don't know how that translates to canadian dollars, though.

You could get a 7D for about $700 used, without much trouble.

I really like that answer, but I don't think I can afford the camera they use in Breaking Bad!! xD
IIRC, they used film in BrBa. :D

I should contact the group casting bg for Saul....

Last edited:
As a step up from a t3i, would a Canon EOS 70D be good? It's $1,267.57. This camera thing is making me go crazy.

Edit: Now I see the 60D for $829! Every time I look I see something different lol

Edit 2: Seconds later, I find this on Kijiji. This has to be a good deal right? Haha

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/winnipeg/canon-60d-body/1055368129?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Don't let it make you crazy. Any of these cameras will be fine for starting out. Don't get too wound up in the gear. Quality production involves so much more than just the camera. Well, depending upon what you're going to be doing.

I think that if it comes to choosing between the t3i and the 60d, you might want to go with the t3i, if this camera is for videography. I'm under the impression that the 60d is the better camera for stills. But the t3i was designed a little more for video than the older 60d. The t3i has that super zoom thingy, for example.

Really, that t3i bundle you posted before, like others said, seems fine for a starter pack.

Or consider a gh3 or 2.

Or I wonder if you shouldn't consider a camcorder with accessories and perhaps an external mic. At least you wouldn't have the clip limit.

And I'm sure the audio guys would remind you that the video is only half of the experience.

Try to enjoy the process. :)

Fate - I agree with richy - don't let it make you crazy.

For what it's worth, I agonized over which video-capable camera to buy back in 2010. When I finally bought one, it turned out I made the wrong decision (it was a Canon T2i with a 12 minute clip length limit, a viewfinder that was blocked by the mirror in video mode, no video autofocus, no manual audio level control and susceptibility to moire - these are the same limitations you would see with a T3i, 60D or 7D, by the way).

So I quickly sold it and bought a camera that could record continuously for hours, had an electronic viewfinder for video, had fast video autofocus with silent lenses, allowed a modicum of manual audio level control and was resistant to moire - a Panasonic GH2 (today's equivalent is the ~$610CDN Panasonic G6).

In the process, I learned a lot and ended up appreciating my new camera more because I had a less capable camera to compare it to. Good luck!

Last edited:
Haha you guys make great points. This shouldn't be something that really stresses me out. I'm just always thinking. I've always been this way. I'll likely go through hundreds of different thoughts again before deciding on one, but for the most part I've always ended up with something I like. (Audio Technica headphones are a great example, off topic, but those took weeks of research for me to take the plunge)

I will re-read everything posted here, maybe I'll even make a chart with pros and cons based off of all your input. I'm a sucker when it comes to "latest and greatest" but I'm even more of a sucker for a good deal. Now I'm aware the lenses can be more important than the camera itself, and I'll need the proper equipment along with it. I'm glad I've been able to bump my budget from $1000 to $1500, which I feel gives me some breathing room.

I see the t3i and the t3s come out at the end of April. A part of me would love either of those, but I think it may be wiser to get older models, and I'm wondering if you think the older models will go on sale once the newer ones come out. Also, does anyone know a really good site for camera deals? Kijiji isn't filled with cameras in my city, and Amazon is hit and miss.

Thanks!

I can really relate to your mulling things over and over. I tend to do that too.

I see the t3i and the t3s come out at the end of April. A part of me would love either of those, but I think it may be wiser to get older models...

I'm not sure I know what you mean there. Can you elaborate?

Be aware that those models are "older" models.

Plus, as far as I know or can tell, the T3 only does 720p. Is that correct? So in my opinion you do not want that camera. Unless for some reason you want that limitation.

...and I'm wondering if you think the older models will go on sale once the newer ones come out. Also, does anyone know a really good site for camera deals? Kijiji isn't filled with cameras in my city, and Amazon is hit and miss.

Thanks!

Yes, typically the older iteration of a camera does drop in price, sooner or later, after the newest iteration is released.

But, for example, the t3i's predecessor, the t2i, has been discontinued by the manufacturer for some time now. Which is not to say you can't still get one.

Since you've raised what you're willing to spend, maybe you should consider the GH3 new. Brian always makes good points about the Panasonic advantages/strengths. But remember you'll still want to get things like an extra battery (I would think), memory cards, a lens, a tripod (I think you said), etc, if those things don't come in some sort of a package. And that's without even considering sound stuff.

If you're still partial to Canon, then get a t3i. Or maybe a t5i. I see Amazon and B&H are selling the t5i for 700 before taxes right now. And Adorama seems to have it for 600 after a mail-in rebate, if I'm reading that right. And those deals even seem to include a kit lens. I don't know how those prices change for someone in Canada.

I think a lot of people on here have said that they've bought used cameras off of Ebay or Craigslist and such and they've been very satisfied and happy with what they got. Still, my opinion tends to be, if you're buying something expensive and important to you, you might want to consider buying from a reputable, solid seller, like one of those big companies, rather than from Joe Blow from Wherever...not that that can't go well too. It's just something you might want to factor into your trying to find a great deal and a good buy.

Last edited:
Back