Directors, what's the worst thing that's ever happened on set?

Just out of curiosity, to all you more experienced directors out there, what was the worst thing that ever happened on set? What did you do to resolve it? Also, what do you recommend is the best way of going about handling a production crisis?

The worst thing was an actress walking along some debri and somehow getting a deep cut in her leg. I had to drive to hospital: she needed stitching. Luckily it was clean.
Amazingly she insisted on going through with the shooting after the stitching was done.

It was terrible to have such a thing happening, made me even more aware of safety in regards to the little things you hardly see.

Besides that I only had an actress being 3 hours too late. Missed a few shots because the sun didn't wait for her, but I saved it in the edit.

And a rented C300 that was dusty on the inside (I checked the night before).

I was working on a music video where a small shop is robbed by armed thieves. We had flyered every house on the street explaining what was happening. Or so we thought. Turns out we missed one. I was outside with an actor during a take when suddenly three police cars showed up. I said we are shooting a video, at which point our three actors in pig masks and wielding baseball bats came out of the shop. They dropped the bats and demasked. The police laughed, watched our footage, said it looked cool, then left.

Back