• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Have a go at color correcting these Stills from my short..

Hey guys,
I'm attaching few stills from the short.. I'm absolutely new to the world of GOOD color correction and I don't wanna be another Magic Bullet preset user..
Have a look at the stills..
The short has 2 sequences taking place together.. One is where the main guy is writing a letter to his mother where he talks about forgiveness, his life and other things.. (He ran away from home as a kid and ended up being a Naxalite (Separatist movement of Northern India).. Now he wants to make a change in his life..

All shots are just close ups never revealing him or anything..

2ekrpg4.jpg

This is juxtaposed with him going up to blow a building...

sb313b.jpg

sndphl.jpg

I want both stories to have a different feel.. Since the street shots are all shot in extreme heat of India.. I wanna maybe convey that in latter shots and a melancholic look for the letter sequence..
Just wanna have two contrasting sets..

Any help would be welcome.. Many thanks.. Oh I use Adobe Suite 5.5

Like you, I'm still new to color correction. In my shots, I just choose the color of the mood, like blue or orange, and let it be dominant on the shot, using the "Push/Pull" method. (But not a tint)

Sorry, not really that helpful.

In a very basic sense, it sounds like you want to take the saturation down in the first scene and give it a slightly blue coloring.

for the second scene, I would boost the saturation a tiny bit to bring out the colors of india, and over expose the whites just a bit. give it a warmer orage feel and give the contrast a nice S-curve.

That's just how I'd start out, but every project is different and it might be more interesting to take it in a completely different direction.

In a very basic sense, it sounds like you want to take the saturation down in the first scene and give it a slightly blue coloring.

for the second scene, I would boost the saturation a tiny bit to bring out the colors of india, and over expose the whites just a bit. give it a warmer orage feel and give the contrast a nice S-curve.

That's just how I'd start out, but every project is different and it might be more interesting to take it in a completely different direction.

This sounds good to me. It all varies. Watch a couple of films that are similar and look at the colour correction done there. The second shot in my opinion should definitely be saturated more in my opinion. The first show could have a light green feel to it possibly? Third shot could suit loads of different colour corrections depending on the choice of the mood.

Back