Directing & Assertiveness

I wanted to get peeps opinions about directing & assertiveness.

I've been told a few times that people say I'm not assertive enough when directing. I've never felt I didn't achieve what I set out to do, but most of the time I'm working against forces that are more external (budget, time constraints etc) and also because a majority of the time I'm taking on about 15 roles as well as directing.

I also like to improvise and makes things feel fresh, and I'm always up for listening to other peoples opinions. I'd like to say I laid the seeds and let people bring their own interpretation, whether it be actor or DOP.

I've studied other directors approaches to filmmaking, and some are more fast and loose, and some are very strict. Kubrick for example rarely gave directions to actors between takes, he would just say "Do it again." Whereas with the camera work he was very determined about where the camera was set. Mike Leigh is very focused on collaborating with the actors, getting the best performance, but usually leaves the camera work to the DOP, obviously because he comes from a theatre background.

Is this something you guys struggled with?
Would you say that assertiveness is wholly not necessary in certain situations?
What would you recommend to improve on this skill?

Most of all I don't believe a director has to be an aggressive dictator.
I also like to give the actors room to play.
Some said they didn't feel like I was directing them, because I let them do their thing and only nudged them towards what I wanted to see.

Some people mistake soft power with lack of assertiveness.
Just like some people think they need to give a very firm handshake to appear decisive.

If you just say 'no' a few times, you'll look assertive to them ;)

You're fine. Peoples' opinions are mostly garbage anyway.

You're also allowed to enjoy the process of making movies, and being there because you love doing it, and love working with certain people. Why screw with that?

I'd take a terrible director who doesn't have the personality of Kubrick over working with Kubrick himself any day. And if you're not a terrible director, you're even better.

Most of all I don't believe a director has to be an aggressive dictator.
I also like to give the actors room to play.
Some said they didn't feel like I was directing them, because I let them do their thing and only nudged them towards what I wanted to see.

Some people mistake soft power with lack of assertiveness.
Just like some people think they need to give a very firm handshake to appear decisive.

If you just say 'no' a few times, you'll look assertive to them ;)

I have been told I have a quiet authority. I guess people relate to being a good director with someone who is constantly putting their foot down.

I've always seen directing as a filter towards a common goal, but people I know direct with a more of "I am God" approach.

Swings and roundabouts.

You're fine. Peoples' opinions are mostly garbage anyway.

You're also allowed to enjoy the process of making movies, and being there because you love doing it, and love working with certain people. Why screw with that?

I'd take a terrible director who doesn't have the personality of Kubrick over working with Kubrick himself any day. And if you're not a terrible director, you're even better.

Ha, that's a fair point.

I suppose if the end product is close to what you envisioned as a director, it doesn't necessarily matter how you got there.

Back