Pricing Talk Show Production

Not sure If I'm posting in the right place or not, seems like the likely spot...

It seems I will be landing work with a TV station close by to perform production for talk shows that will be airing on their TV station. The talk shows are basically pastors talking about issues they want to address and I'm sure they will have guess on the show and all that. The TV Station is recommending me to the first pastor for his show then they said they have 4 more pastors that they are sending my way.

My question is what do I charge for the production? I'm sure the Recording will be one hour tops if that, but that will turn into about 2 hours of recording time with takes and stuff. Then there is the editing and preparation of the footage for TV broadcasting . I'm not sure how to put a price on this but I'm excited to have the opportunity. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited After Thinking About it: Just thinking about what I charge for PSA's... I charge a minimum of $400 for the shooting and then I charge for the editing separately. I'm sure each one is going to want a intro and maybe a outro. The way I see it is for the TV production talk show a minimum of $800 per episode including editing and delivery to TV station.

I will have 2 Cameras, 2 cameramen, Lighting, possibly Green Screen (if they do not already have a set), Lav mics, and etc. . Record footage sync in music, edit audio levels, and may even have to make sure it has Closed Caption. Not sure what all that is worth. i have to get it right up front because all these pastors know each other and i don't want to start low them realize I have to charge the next one more and the difference is found out. I also don't want to charge too much and eventually loose the work.

There's a balance between being able to charge enough to make it worth your time, effort and reward for what experience you bring and the risk of losing a client. Be aware, some clients want you to charge them so little, they're hardly worth keeping as a client.

Think of it like this, what would the costs be if you had to hire everyone to do the task at hand? Find out exactly what they require. Production value, equipment expectations, time schedules etc. Work out who you need for all of it, how long it'll take each person and what they'd charge. Add in kit rentals. Add it all up. It's common sense to charge more than that.

You really need to know whether they have a location and set for the show or not.
If not: it needs to hired/build as well.
You also need to manage and arrange things, prep the pastors a bit.
Is there a host?
Or is it just a monologue show?
Maybe you need plants/flowers in your set? (They need 'refreshing' or watering)

So you need to talk first and find out what they want/expect in terms of quality and look.
Then find out what equipment will be 100% available and what needs to be rented.
Do they also want a short video item shot outside to illustrate the topic or to introduce the pastor?

Producing is more than just the labour of recording and editing.

Back